out of breath underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for the late reply. This sound suspicious of angina pectoris, and you need, I think, a thorough history taking, examination and possibly some investigations.

It would always hep in a posting like yours to have more information about YOU - not just your gear.

Good Luck

Sandy

Your complaint of not being able to take a deep enough breath, or having to take a deep breath every few breaths is a symptom very, very common in anxiety disorders.

Are you having some anxiety problem?

Something on your mind?

Some source of discord or tension n your life?

Think about it.

My first advice stands - see a doctor - anxiety for a diver can be very dangerous.

Sandy

First... welcome to the board! I am glad you finally made it here.

Second... his tanks are pristene. I got the hydros done for him and did the inspections and they were perfect. No oils were detected under the blacklight, and all the valves but one were serviced too. They also were clean. He is a drill sargeant when it comes to keeping his equipment in line.

Sgt Nitrox and I had discussed his regulator at some point. It sounded more like an IP problem. While I do my own regs, I don't do others do to not being able to get parts. Although I would be happy to check the IP for him and the functionality. We could also switch regs to see. However, this happened on one of Disney's regs as well, so I don't think it's here.

Anxious??? He is anything but. A quite affable fellow, unless he is hiding his darker side :tease: . I have seen him in the pool on a "kicking class" and also once out in the ocean blue. He was a most competent diver both times.

However... there has been one factor not mentioned here. Sgt Nitrox takes 15 second breaths... as in 4/minute. This is in part to conserve air, but I am wondering if it is resulting in a CO2 buildup that is causing the whole problem. He has an awesome bottom time because of it, but I wonder if it is not the root of the problem. And it might not mean that he has to give up the breathing discipline... just work with it some more to meet his needs... or work out some more so that it is sufficient. Most all of us try to slow down our breathing to some extent... I know that I do, but I would never admit that to one of my classes. :tease:

Of course, this may be happening during times he is NOT trying to control his breathing. Then we are still looking for another culprit.

NetDoc once bubbled...
First... welcome to the board! I am glad you finally made it here.

Anxious??? He is anything but. A quite affable fellow, unless he is hiding his darker side :tease: . I have seen him in the pool on a "kicking class" and also once out in the ocean blue. He was a most competent diver both times.

However... there has been one factor not mentioned here. Sgt Nitrox takes 15 second breaths... as in 4/minute. This is in part to conserve air, but I am wondering if it is resulting in a CO2 buildup that is causing the whole problem.

Thanks for the welcome.

However, affability and competency have nothing to do with anxiety, which still may be the problem.

However what is ABSOLUTELY required here is a thorough medical evaluation. All of this here on the board is no more than guessing with the information we have on hand. A thorough history is required.

I am also still very suspicious of angina.

CO2 buildup is a possibilty too.

Bottom line: Needs a medical evaluation.

Sandy

PS Also a Murray! :)

If you felt the same at twenty feet as you did at eighty feet, and the same at EPCOT with one of their regs, and your breathing at surface is now not feeling right, this is a medical problem until proven otherwise.

Don't dive until you've been cleared with some form of exercise test or your doc has another plausible explanation.

You don't mention age or other risk factors, but your symptoms also would fit with heart attack warning (angina pectoris often starts with shortness of breath or breathlessness) or pulmonary embolism or any of a number of other medical problems.

Dive safe and keep breathing
John

he had come down with a very bad case of flu and is over it. He is in the middle of moving and just got engaged (Congrats!!). He will be getting checked out anyway, just in case it was more than that, and should be on within in the week as he gets his 'puter sorted out.

BTW, he is young... compared to me, most are! :tease:

NetDoc once bubbled...
he had come down with a very bad case of flu and is over it. He is in the middle of moving and just got engaged (Congrats!!). He will be getting checked out anyway, just in case it was more than that, and should be on within in the week as he gets his 'puter sorted out.

BTW, he is young... compared to me, most are! :tease:

Well, I have seen many serious illnesses that were thought to be "just the flu" - I hope that is all it is/was.

And far as anxiety goes -- moving - getting engaged - hmmm ...

I sure hope he gets that medical evaluation - and a thorough one at that.

Best Regards,

Sandy

Thanks again for all who have posted. Also thanks to Net Doc for the Props.... For Mr. Sandy(Sorry couldnt remember your handle) I am about to turn 32 in Jan. Although I havent been running lately a few months ago I I averaged 8 min miles for three. Not great but not that bad either. I have never had any serious health issues. I do not smoke and drink socially and not to excess. I have never felt anxious in the water until the breathing problem and I will admit that since it has happened it has been on the foremost of my mind. In reguards to my breathing discipline that Net Doc was refering to I inhale for 5 seconds and exhale for 10. Of course that all depends on the type of dive, and only if I think about it. If it is a dive involving "work" ie currents and a lot of swimming then I am sure that all goes out the window.
I am sure that I will catch some heat for this but I am diving tomorrow to see how the reg will preform after service. I highly suspect this was due part to equipment and largely to mind set. My dive buddy and I have been diving together for quite some time and he is fully aware of what I am going thru. He also understands that tomorrow is a tune up dive for me so we will not be pushing ourselves. Trust me I have not one reservation about callling a dive if it feels wrong. I have gotten over my flu like symptoms and am ready to get back with the program. If i have any problems tomorrow I will be calling the Doc on monday.
Thanks again to all who have posted. I will keep you updated.
SGT NITROX

BTW Doc Sandy I was not moving or even thinking about getting hitched when all this was going on. The whole moving thing and such has happened in the last week. Your advice has not fallen on deaf ears, however I have to see if it was equipment related. Sorry I am a former Marine, I have more faith in myself than my Doc. Also if anyone knows of a good diving Doc in the Central Fla area I would be up for going to him/her.
Thanks SGT NITROX

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom