any suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
well I must say for me this year been the health pits recently diagnosised with Asthma , my weight has gone out of control even with regular excercise and slowing my eating , I have chaulked some up to hitting 40 but cannot find valid reason why the weight promblems or even why I developed asthmia which has affect my diving by increasing my oxygen use I first notice about two years ago that my oxygen use has slowly increased which this year my doctor did a lung capacity test and few other test well in aug I had my first asthma attack which has been controlled by meds and no more attacks but oxygen use still higher than I like it to be . so now figure I will work on weight maybe help my oxygen use any ideas or thoughts on this please post thanks !!!

Howdy medic13:

Sorry to hear about your problem. There is a great deal of general information on asthma and diving in the Scubaboard archives. A quick search should yield a wealth of information for you.

Scubadoc has an article on asthma and diving at:

http://www.scuba-doc.com/asthma.htm

Please forgive me for not taking the time to reinvent the wheel and going through all that again, but if you cover the available information and still have specific questions I'm sure someone can help here.

BTW, there does seem to be a correlation between obesity and asthma. I don't think it's clear yet that obesity can cause asthma, but getting down to ideal body weight is a good idea for most people.

HTH,

Bill

The above information is intended for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

There are always pitfalls in guessing at problems over the internet, but one cause of late-onset asthma in someone with less than ideal weight would have to include reflux of stomach contents into the esophagus and micro-aspiration when sleeping.

Your doc shoud know how to pursue this if it fits.
It's one of those oddball causes that sometimes slips by unnoticed, and is easily treatable.

Good luck and hope to see you diving some day.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom