Martha's Quarry (Nashville area) rate Increase.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
It appears that Marthas Quarry (www.marthasquarry.com) has increased it's price this year to $30 bucks.

All I can say is *ouch*. That's kinda high for that place!

(it's not their website. Fred hasn't updated that dinosaur website in years).

Never fear, you can pick them up at MTSS apparantly for $10 discount for a total price of $20 bucks. (see http://www.brucegust.com/MTSS/QuickDipArticle.asp?ArticleID=59&Dateline=7/24/2006 3:12:16 PM)

I think that $30 bucks is a little high for Marthas. It's not like a lot has been done to update the place. I guess he's got the monoloply on the Nashville area market share though.

What does everyone else think?

Comparison prices of other "hole in the ground" dive spots:
----------------------------------------------------------
Dive Cerulean - $20 or 10 dive card for $130 (or $13/visit in bulk)
Loch Low Minn - $ 20 per diver
Mermet Springs - $20/diver
Madison Quarry (Aqualine - formally Rock Divers) - $20/diver
Moulton Quarry - $15/diver
Diveland / Glencoe - $20/diver
Alabama BlueWater - $18.52/diver

AFAIK, the $20.00 cards can be picked up at any dive shop in the Nashville area.

Based on one guy's experience, it might be a good idea to call your chosen shop ahead of time to make sure they're in stock.

FWIW, Fred says the extra $10.00 will go to charity, though I'm not completely sure he was being serious.

vodolaz:
AFAIK, the $20.00 cards can be picked up at any dive shop in the Nashville area.

Based on one guy's experience, it might be a good idea to call your chosen shop ahead of time to make sure they're in stock.

FWIW, Fred says the extra $10.00 will go to charity, though I'm not completely sure he was being serious.

Ahh... thanks for letting us know that you can pick them up at any Nashville shop. I wasn't trying to push MTSS over another shop.

I can see them running out of stock also as as soon as they have an open water class, they'll most likely sell 20 or 30 of them for use over the 2 day period. Good idea to call ahead.

Fred prob meant that "charity" to be himself. :D

mike_s:
Fred prob meant that "charity" to be himself. :D
That was my first thought, but he did say something about an orphanage.

By moving the point-of-sale to the dive shops, he gets brownie points from them for the increased traffic. It's a win-win for them, but not a great development for those with no dive shop affiliation.

If it's an orphanage, then that's a good thing and a worthy cause I'm sure.

I agree that moving the point of sale to the dive shop is better for everyone. (that lives in the Nashville area. For us "out of town-ers" it's more of a hassle.)

I do remember hearing that Fred gives quite a bit of money to a orphanage somewhere. I believe its in another country.
I was there this past Sunday and since I had not heard about the rate increase they let me in for $20 and told me about the cards at the shops.

Ouch! Gilboa is only like $12 and even Dutch Springs, which has great facilities is $25. Hopefully they will open Madison water park in Huntsville again soon for when I go home to TN.

Just saw something about a shop reserving Madison Quarry. Is this place open again or is it reservation only?

scubagal28:
I do remember hearing that Fred gives quite a bit of money to a orphanage somewhere. I believe its in another country.
I was there this past Sunday and since I had not heard about the rate increase they let me in for $20 and told me about the cards at the shops.

Ahh... $10 bucks off... your smile must work better on Fred than me!

darylm74:
Ouch! Gilboa is only like $12 and even Dutch Springs, which has great facilities is $25. Hopefully they will open Madison water park in Huntsville again soon for when I go home to TN.

Just saw something about a shop reserving Madison Quarry. Is this place open again or is it reservation only?

Yep. Madison is open. On a "limited basis". The city has put some limits on the lease, but is trying to also keep it open for training and public safety diver training.
The city also doesn't allow general admission "walk up's" either. So you have to pre-register with SDI and enter with them.

I dove there a couple weekends ago. Any shop can "lease/rent" it for the weekend, but it has to be a shop or instructor. Right now the only shop with "scheduled" weekends there is Southeastern Divers (http://www.sdiscuba.com). Check out their website for a full list of weekends. They'll be there this weekend.

Water temps on the bottom in Madison are at record warmth! It's 80f + on the bottom. Try finding that in a quarry anywhere else.

I've got to finish some changes, but I should have some information up on the local scuba club website for the quarry, including a quarry map of sunk items. It'll be next week at least before I get it up, but if anyone needs it for this weekend just PM me your email address and I'll convert it to JPEG and email it to you. I'll post a reference to all this in the Deep Dixie Divers section when I get it done.

Some come on out to the Madison Quarry. The temps are almost as warm as the gulf.
-Mike

I won't be down there till probably next year due to my vacation but will be home in the Spring. I was going to take some people home for Thanksgiving last year but that fell through due to Madison closing because that is where we wanted to dive. I will have to keep an eye on it at this time. Hopefully they haven't removed any of the items since I was there in 2004.

darylm74:
I won't be down there till probably next year due to my vacation but will be home in the Spring. I was going to take some people home for Thanksgiving last year but that fell through due to Madison closing because that is where we wanted to dive. I will have to keep an eye on it at this time. Hopefully they haven't removed any of the items since I was there in 2004.

Nothings been removed from Madison, with the exception of the bus, which was removed because of stupidity. The bus was put in without checking to see if they had bothered to empty the gas tank, much less remove it. It was still full of gas. So they had to remove the entire bus. But they still have it and plan on removing the gas tank (and anything else that is not good for the water system) and putting it back in.

So the Minute Man missile, F4 fighter, boats, all the NASA stuff, etc is still all there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom