DS-50 TTL / internal flash question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eho

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have my C-5050 / Ikelite TTL Housing / DS-50 set up using Peter at Spalshdown's MyMode 1 settings. I have just started playing with it in preparation to taking it on its first dive next month. Even though I have the Flash setting at "external only", the internal flash always goes off and it adds enough light on closer shots to cause a pretty big over-exposure, even with the blocker/diffuser on the housing.

Do I have this set up wrong? Is there something else I need to do to convince the internal flash not to fire at all? Or is it supposed to go off?

Thanks for the help.

After playing with this for a while, I had to set Flash to "Off" instead of "Slow 1", now only the DS-50 is firing. Did I mis-read Steve's chart? It shows "Slow1" but both of my 5050's fire the internal flash + external flash in that setting.

I took a lot of way over-exposed test shots last night on a variety of lighter backgrounds. Darker subjects / backgrounds were perfect. Even at 1/320th, F5.0 the lighter subjects / backgrounds were really over-exposed. Doesn't seem like the TTL is doing anything here to quench (i.e. I got full dumps, regardless of the reflectivity, etc of the subject). I guess I better sit down with the manual tonight and see what the indicator is for a full dump. The red light on the strobe doesn't flash at all after firing.

Thanks for any insight anyone has.

Just spoke to Backscatter and Ikelite. My housing is not TTL, I didn't realize they made a version with a full-fire hotshoe, but they did. Probably everyone else already knows this, but for n00b's like me, if your hotshoe has a single contact on it, it can't be / isn't TTL (duh).

It's off to Ikelite for an upgrade. :)

That was going to be my question eho. I would recommend getting a manual controller and going that route instead of the hotshoe (full dump) option.

eho:
My housing is not TTL, I didn't realize they made a version with a full-fire hotshoe, but they did...

It's off to Ikelite for an upgrade. :)

What a bummer eho. (sympathetic teeth-clucking noises here)

If you bought the non-TTL housing recently, any chance of a refund from the shop?? Full TTL is good.

If you can get a TTL housing, you might consider dropping the default EV number a bit to avoid chronic over-exposure.

Good luck.

Have to give some kudos to Ikelite. I shipped my housing overnight to Ikelite on Monday. They got it no problem on Tuesday and this morning (Wednesday) they finished it and it's shipping back to me 2nd day air, a week ahead of my vacation. Going to Hawaii (Kauai) with 2 DS50's, 2 5050's, and one housing. I figure I can survive almost any flood scenario and still have some sort of UW capability.

Considering the cost of shipping + upgrade, I paid about $625 for the (now) TTL housing + Pelican case. This is the first time I will be shooting TTL w/ auto-focus (previous cameras were the Ikelite A3, housed Canon EOS, and a Nik V with extension tubes), can't wait! :)

This is the kind of customer service that will keep me an Ikelite customer for a long time.

I have never has a single issues with Ike's customer service. For me at least, they set the benchmark for quality care and product service.

Terry

divinman:
I have never has a single issues with Ike's customer service. For me at least, they set the benchmark for quality care and product service.

Terry

Second that motion. My DS-50 went u/s recently with an electronic component failure. Ikelite helped me diagnose the problem by email and I was getting answers within 12 hours. The unit needed repair, and Ike fixed it properly first time - no charge. Got my vote.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom