Are these used tanks any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCDVR

Reaction score
Ok somebody is trying to sell these 2 tanks for 50$ he says they are Sherwood 6300 steel scuba tanks w/ adapter

Now I think 6300 refers to the valves not the tanks but thats how the guy is listing them.They were last inspected in 99 and the guy says they have been sitting in his house since then

So the question is how big do they look to you guys? Are they 100's? Could somebody(me) make a cheap set of doubles out of them? Are they worth picking up on the cheap? I have not owned tanks so not sure how expensive it would be to get all the o rings replaced and have them serviced by the lds, I think I can get some bands pretty cheap. Also I can convert them to Nitrox yes?

Anyway an estimate of there value and how much it would cost me to make them enriched air doubles suitable for depths 130-165fsw would be great. Taking an advanced nitrox/deco class in September

thanks

I'd pick them up for that price. The valves alone are worth that much. Without seeing the info stamped on the neck of the tank it's hard to say what they are. They look like steel 80's or 100's but I can't tell without closer inspection. Are they still in hydro and vip?

I have three of those tanks, and love them. They're a little heavier than some of the new "exempt" HP steel tanks, but that's just a couple pounds I can leave out of my pockets. If you decide to pass on them... PM me!

Pop the boots off and check the condition there. Steel tanks tend to get "eaten up" more under the boot than the rest.

But agree that the valves and scrap metal value of the tanks are probably worth the $50.

NYCDVR:
Ok somebody is trying to sell these 2 tanks for 50$ he says they are Sherwood 6300 steel scuba tanks w/ adapter

Now I think 6300 refers to the valves not the tanks but thats how the guy is listing them.They were last inspected in 99 and the guy says they have been sitting in his house since then

So the question is how big do they look to you guys? Are they 100's? Could somebody(me) make a cheap set of doubles out of them? Are they worth picking up on the cheap? I have not owned tanks so not sure how expensive it would be to get all the o rings replaced and have them serviced by the lds, I think I can get some bands pretty cheap. Also I can convert them to Nitrox yes?

Anyway an estimate of there value and how much it would cost me to make them enriched air doubles suitable for depths 130-165fsw would be great. Taking an advanced nitrox/deco class in September

thanks

They might be Taylor-Wharton "LP95"s. I think Sherwood is/was a part of TW. I bought a couple late last century. If you can buy them for $50.00, and they are in usable condition, go for it.

Green_Manelishi:
They might be Taylor-Wharton "LP95"s. I think Sherwood is/was a part of TW. I bought a couple late last century. If you can buy them for $50.00, and they are in usable condition, go for it.

They look like they could be Pressed Steel. Sherwood/Genesis used to distribute PST cylinders way back. The only thing is they probably have the smaller HP thread neck size (7/8) instead of the newer PST cylinders that are all 3/4. They are good cylinders, just check the insides first to make sure they are not rusted out. THey probably have some extensive flash rust, but look for pits and holes.

LUBOLD8431:
They look like they could be Pressed Steel. Sherwood/Genesis used to distribute PST cylinders way back. The only thing is they probably have the smaller HP thread neck size (7/8) instead of the newer PST cylinders that are all 3/4. They are good cylinders, just check the insides first to make sure they are not rusted out. THey probably have some extensive flash rust, but look for pits and holes.

Upon closer look at the not-too-large-pic, they do look like they are sporting Genesis valves. For $50.00, if they pass inspection, they are usable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom