Dangers of Buddy Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bah humbug :D.

OK how about a more serious answer then.

- Buddies get narced at depth and pull stoopid stunts.
- Buddies nod and agree to the dive plan on the surface, then utterly forget/ignore it as soon as the surface closes over their heads.
- Buddies spontaneously decide that penetrating the wreck on a single tank is a fabulous idea.
- Buddies like to follow you around by being above and behind you. They're never ever where you look for them.
- Buddies may be so insecure underwater that they're literally trying to occupy the same zone of space/time and you're forever kicking them when you fin, or gently disentangling them from your gear.
- Buddies swim blithely between you and the once-in-a-dive shot you were lining up.
- Buddies throw unintelligible hand signals at you underwater then after the dive, on the surface, insisted that you understood and agreed with them.
- Without a buddy, there's more post-dive beer for you :D

Buddy helps you gear up .... wait... that's the boat crew
Buddy jumps in the water 10 min after you do letting you waste your breathing gas and bottom time waiting for him/her.
Buddy shortens your dive because he/she is a hoover on full suction.

outvotes you on the site

scares away the good stuff.

chums the water with fish guts, wants to spear and drag dead fish around

SmileMon:
Buddies can stab you when they see a shark.. :D

or said buddy can swim away from shark faster than you

of course that is the reason to always carry a knife and have a buddy... when you see the great white you stab them, cut off their fins, then out swim them to the boat, making sure you look very nonseal like of course. Oh wait sorry this was a reason to have a buddy.

Okay how about you go on a live aboard and your buddy gets the only single girl on the trip...

no, really I am not bitter

My frequency of incidents diving with a buddy is 20X higher than when I'm diving solo. Given that experience I think diving with buddies (at least other bthan my few regular ones) is far more dangerous than diving solo.

ItsBruce:
Buddy loses a fin, doesn't notice and swims in circles.
Buddy has two fins but, inexplicably, tries to swim in circles for the entire dive; never looks once at compass.
DEEPLOU:
Buddy jumps in the water 10 min after you do letting you waste your breathing gas and bottom time waiting for him/her.
Erm, buddy doesn't wait until you're ready before jumping into water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom