BC Housing Hook Up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LLKZ16

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My SP-350 just arrived I was wondering what anyone would recommend for clipping the PT-030 housing to ones BC.

I do mostly shore dives so I need a strong set up.

Any suggestions or pictures?

I've used a light lanyard with a Patima housing for the C5050, as well as with an Ikelite housing and a Sony HC1. If that won't hold up, you're probably not going to be getting decent pictures on a beach dive anyway; that's the point where you either don't take the camera if you've just gotta dive, or don't dive at all. Both the Patima aluminum with attached strobe and the Ikelite housing for the HC1 weigh in at 10+ lbs, a lot more than the olympus housing. I have not taken the Ikelite through the surf yet, but the Patima has made it through So. Cal surf several times. Bear in mind that some people would consider me crazy. I've also taken Canon and Nikon PnS housings through the surf in a BCD pocket several times. You're guaranteed not to lose it unless you lose your BCD, and I've never had one flood. Bottom line - have insurance, and a lot of good karma built up.

Clip on type coiled lanyard that snaps together works really well.

Clip on type coiled lanyard that snaps together works really well.

For clarification, when I wrote "Light Lanyard", this is equivalent to what Larry is talking about, the clip together coiled lanyard (I've always seen them sold as a "Light Lanyard"). I did not mean those POS nylon around your wrist lanyards that come with the lights that will allow you to spend more money when you lose your light in moderate surf at night.

LLKZ16,

I hear what you're saying. We shore divers need strong gear just to get in and out all in one piece. Forget all this pansy Padi forum advice about asking your "dive-master" to hand your camera down to you after entry. Your buddy who jumped in off the rocks first has been washed away in the tide and surge long ago, and you've agreed to meet up in deep water ready to dive.

TheNitroxinator suggests that if you need XXX-strength gear, then the photography is likely to be poor. I have to disagree - at least where I dive. Sure things in close can be churned up in a big swell, but there is nearly always good photography in the deep, clear water out behind the white froth.

I have to second Larry C's advice. The plastic-coated coil spring cables with snap clips at each end will keep you and your camera connected no matter what.

I would always go for parrot-beak snap clips because once you're underwater and sorted out, it's good to be able to stretch your arms. And with the parrot-beak clips you can stick your camera close to your body again when it's time to exit through the white water.

good luck

I use this one: Coiled Lanyard I like the split ring on one end and the boltsnap on the other.

Thanks for the info!!

It looks like I am set now. :D

:monkeydan

The coil lanyard with the bolt snap looks great.

Hey I have one of those but could not figure out how to attach it to my housing I have the SP-350 and I think it is the 030 housing. Do I just attach the small cord to th strap on my camera housing? It did not look very secure when I tried.

Lindabluedolphin,

In the Cetacea corp web page I think their CRL09,
CRL12 or CRL15 would work best for just your camera and housing. You would stick the loop of the corded end through the wrist strap mount of your housing, then pull the rest of the lanyard through that loop.

I would be leery using the split ring model with a clip. That split ring could wear away some of the housing material. My wife lost a camera once when the split ring worked its way through a clip.

I would also stay away from the lanyards which do not have a Fastex clip to hold the lanyard short and close to your body. If you can't clip it close it could be an entangling hazard if you needed both hands for climbing into a boat for instance.

Back
Top Bottom