Questions about Protea Banks diving, next year...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Code Monkey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My family and I are planning to be in the neighborhood of Protea Banks around 5th through 7th of August next year. We'd like to dive, so that brings me to a few questions I had. I know I can sound kind-of nervous about this dive planning stuff but that's just how I register excitement. At any rate, we're *really* psyched about the chance to get some South African diving under our weight belts!

I've heard Protea Banks is a difficult dive. In what way is it difficult? My family each has between 150 and 170 dives, some of which is high speed, bottemless, drift diving. What skills (and levels of fitness) are especially necessary about Protea Banks?

How cold is it the the Protea Banks area right now (well, during the diving day)? Do you guys rent 7 mil suits or do we need to bring our own? We're only doing 2-3 days of diving out of a 31 day trip so I was thinking that we'd keep our dive luggage small. Maybe take our regulators, masks, and emergency gear but rent our BCs, fins, and such -- is that an okay idea?

How often are the dives, there, called off due to poor vis (you know, with the big sharks and all)?

How far is it to the dive sites at Aliwal Shoal and Protea Banks? And while I'm on the subject of getting to the dive sites, are the boats out there typically zodiacs or do some of the dive ops use other kinds of dive boats?

If the sardine run is going when we're there, how easy would it be to get a one-day trip out to do that dive? I've heard that *that* diving is tough -- define tough. :wink:

Are there any especially recommended dive ops in the area? Is there anything else I need to know about South African diving?

Thanks so much! I am *really* looking forward to this!

Well I hope I can be of some help here.

Aliwal shoals and Protea banks are awesome dives - there are a lot of sharks but for some reason there hasnb't been any major incident for years. Wrt it being a difficult dive I dont really see why, as long as you follow the loacls tiops you will be ok, I dont know any other reason, there are no really strong rips or particularly dangerous hazrds in the area. With the experience you guys have there I think you will be fine.

I wouldn't stress about kit too much, the standard of diving in SA is very high and the kit they supply is all good. We have used kit from a few of the companies and never had problems. I think carrying all the extra weight is pointless.

The water in that area is warm and you only need a 5mm suit - Remember its winter there in August and there is going to be wet miserable weather - but I like diving in rain anyway.

I dont think the dives are cancelled regularly, I've certainly never had a dive cancelled and Ive been there a lot. Most of the dive charters use fast rubber dive boats and I think there is one Fibre glass boat but I cant remember who runs it. The dive charters are very efficient and their safety standards are very high.

Cant help you withthe sardine run sorry!!

Use these dive ops

http://www.africanodyssea.co.za/

http://www.coraldivers.co.za/

We use Coral divers when we are there and they are fantatsic - friendly and helpfull. Never had problems with them.

Just one word of warning, The security situation in SA is bad, don't wear expensive jewellery or watches - we recommend most people buy a cheap watch to use there, keep your cell phones in pockets and avoid flashing money or cards etc around. If you go out at night make sure you are with people that know the area or stay in the hotel area. I cant stress enough how much you need to be aware of your surroundings at all times. The crime is violent and brutal and it happens very quickly, just be aware!!

Enjoy the dives they are trully awesome!!! I rank it as some of the best dives in the world and I've dived a few places!!

P.s - ALso check this site out they have all sorts of stuff for you.

http://aliwalshoal.com/

Way cool, thanks! It sounds like it's going to be a great trip and the diving sounds off-the-hook!

I've not done the zodiac thing, do they have ladders for getting back into the boat or do people have to yank you out of the water?

I've been reading about the security situation and, best I can tell, if you stay in at night (like we tend to), stay out of the townships, and are careful about what you flash around that you'll be okay. Does that match with your experience? We travel quite a bit, often to developing countries, and I'm thinking we're probably fine. My 18 year old daughter is a little spooked by your warning, though.

Thanks, again, for all your help!

Sheesh! I got terrified from the warnings about security - and I live here!

Seriously, you have the right idea about how to "not go looking for trouble". As long as you apply some common sense, you should not be a victim of crime. It is a mistake to flash costly camera equipment or jewellery around. There are also certain areas that you should keep away from after hours, but again common sense will be enough to keep you safe.

I have never dived Protea Banks, but African Oddysea will be able to help you out. I don't believe that many dives are cancelled due to viz. The launch conditions are normally the deciding factor on whether the dive goes ahead.

Aliwal Shoal is a great diving spot. There are many reputable dive operators in the area, so you are spoiled for choice. My personal favourite is Quo Vadis. There is a trip report from another SB member here. They operate out of Scottburgh and are run by a very capable skipper. With the launches normally being the most stressful (and risky) part of a dive on the Shoal, it is reassuring to know that you are in safe hands.

About the zodiacs (RIBs), divers generally pull themselves out of the water, though the Skipper will give you a hand if you are struggling. No ladders are used. But even with my, umm, healthy frame, it is not difficult to get into the boat. If there is some surface swell action, you may have to synchronise your efforts with the waves. But it's normally fairly easy. Please don't stress about this.

You are welcome to PM me if you need any details on anything. I am more than happy to help you out.

Cheers,

Andrew

Code Monkey:
Way cool, thanks! It sounds like it's going to be a great trip and the diving sounds off-the-hook!

I've not done the zodiac thing, do they have ladders for getting back into the boat or do people have to yank you out of the water?

I've been reading about the security situation and, best I can tell, if you stay in at night (like we tend to), stay out of the townships, and are careful about what you flash around that you'll be okay. Does that match with your experience? We travel quite a bit, often to developing countries, and I'm thinking we're probably fine. My 18 year old daughter is a little spooked by your warning, though.

Thanks, again, for all your help!

Maybe I'm just being more cautious than I should be but being South African and being in the defence force for 16 years I can tell you some stories ........ but I think better safe than sorry.

I agree with Andrew (ShoalDiverSA), no reason why you should not be fine. Security is always an issue, but we dive the Shoal and Banks very often and have never felt unsafe (with regards to topside security). The biggest reason dives get cancelled is surface condition which prevents the RIB's from launching (had that happen twice in the last four years). Protea Banks can be challengin because of the current - if the boat misses you, you can end up never being found, I is on the edge of a huge current, about 11km offshore. Having said that, the operators there are normally great and I have had excellent dives there. In bad viz, dives on the Banks could get cancelled simply because people could get lost and there is nothing to see then anyway.

Ditto on most of what Andrew said, and feel free to PM me for more info. The Shoal and Banks are my two favourite South African divesites because of the diversity to be found there.

PS. Every South African aged between 35 and 50 years has some defence force horror stories - this is history. Some of us even still live here - Happily

PS.PS. ShoaldiverSA, you have been quiet lately. We are off to Zanzibar for 16 days in two weeks time.
Please give me a postal address (PM), I want to send you some DVD footage of the Shoal I have done over the last couple of months.

Look monkey - all I'm saying is be aware of your surroundings - I know a lot of people in the country like to pretend that its all hunky dory and there is no problem but as long as you are sensible you shouldn't have any problems!!

Dave,

I don't believe it's about pretending. We do have serious safety/security issues in this country. However, as long as Wade takes the precautions he has listed, he should not have a problem - particularly in the areas where he will be diving/staying. Now if he was planning to spend time touring around the Durban city centre, my feelings would be different.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure what I said to offend you but, for whatever it was, I apologize.

Thanks for the info, Andrew!

I didn't realize that Durban was a problem area. My latest plan was to let my wife and daughter shop in Durban while I went diving (they like a bit cushier dive experience than I require). I'd read that Johannesburg was a bit on the scary side but I had thought that Durban (and, for that matter, Capetown) was fine.

Just to put some things in perspective. My family and I are unusual for Yanks -- we travel on our own quite a lot. We've been to places that came with warning notices (Cambodia and Peru, for example) but I've never read anything like the warnings for South Africa. Quite frankly, all of what I've read has me a little spooked.

And, for what it's worth, I apologize for Bush. I did not vote for him. Twice. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom