Newbie Needs advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the advice. I am still shopping around, and have not made my mind up yet.

The reason I was going to buy a computer 1st was b/c every instructor I know recommends one as the first major piece of gear. Also, I am very interested in having the computer log the exact details of all my dives.

I've learned the tables, and somehow got all the table questions correct on my first try during the academic review portion of my OW cert.

I'm a new diver and have an Oceanic VEO 250. It seems like a good combination of features, readable display, and reasonable price.

The Aeris Atmos 2 is an excellent computer and Nitrox ready. it's being phased out and replaced with the XR2, get one while you can. We've got the price marked down to move them. We've used them for years in our rental line and they work great, take the abuse and they're very easy to use. User replaceable batteries too.

The real decision will be: what features do YOU want and need? Figure that out and then you'll be set!

Good luck!

Britt :fish:
:fish:

There are many things a new diver needs. A dive computer is frankly not one of them. A table and a good watch are your best bet.

Once your bouyancy, trim, and air consumption are all under control THEN you may notice that you are diving profiles where tables no longer work for you.

Most new divers I see will use up an Al-80 in 20 minutes at 50 feet and never see any advantage from a dive computer. You want to spend money on something of immediate value to you, that would be more dives. Maybe a good mask. Enjoy diving on tables. Then maybe after a bit consider AOW or Rescue Diver. Knowledge in your head is better than knowledge on your wrist. Rent stuff, try different things, have fun.

First thing my instructor told me when I asked that question 10 years ago was "spend money to go diving more often, even just in the quarry." He was right.

I favor the Timex Ironman in the 200 meter version, the depth ratings are vastly overstated/marketed the 100-meter one does not hold up well on repeated 100-foot dives in my experience. Easy enough to do Nitrox with it too, just add the tables for that, or run the EAD (Equivalent Air Depth) formula on air tables. I scribbled the EAD formula in my Wetnotes for refreshing my memory of it and only travel with Air Tables.

I have used Oceanic Data Plus hockey-puck, the Suunto Mosquito, and the Suunto Gekko, fine little low-end units. I have an allergic reaction to salesmen/instructors telling me I need to spend north of $300 on something I do not breath off of. I didn't use any of these however until I had about 50 dives under my belt.

I agree with Vicente...I have been diving for a year now and have not bought a computer yet. I find that tables work just fine and I keep a log on my slate until I get back and write them in my logbook. A computer is not the 1st thing you should buy IMO. I would purchase the rest of your gear before the computer (i.e. BC, reg assembly, mask, fins, wetsuit, you get the picture).

Get all your skills down pat and practice alot....Then figure where to go from there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom