Emergency First Response

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as has been said repeatedly, what is taught at dive classes is very little at best poor. Leave medical work to the pros. there is a real danger that after any of those diving classes, they might think they're certified EMTS.:doctor:

gjmmotors once bubbled...
Last time I checked the padi program did not include any clinical practice. Would I trust someone to work on me if all they had were a padi card, and the class taught by a non-healthcare person?
I am a firm believer in the lack of training involved in a PADI class, any run of the mill idiot can pass it as long as they pay.

As a nationally registered EMT-B, I spent over 120 hours in class and clinical work. I also carry my own malpractice insurance. My health care provider CPR and AED cert was over 8 hours long.
Every 3 years I am required to re-cert for emt-b and take the required CME classes.

As compared to a padi MFA, who would you rather work on you?

gjm
(big anti-padi advocate)

What is your point. The only intent of these classes is to better prepare a person to render emergency aid until the pros get on the scene. It is not meant to make them pros. CPR isn't rocket science. On the other hand I have never done it for real. Not being a medical pro if If give you cpr I might mess up. So what?...If you need CPR things aren't getting much worse for you today. And if I'm doing it it's because there isn't anyone else. I am not going to take a 120 hour class so maybe you would prefer I didn't take any and if you need CPR I call 911 and go back to planning my next dive. The purpose here is to teach some basic skills and develope enough confidence in the person so they are more likely to decide to help. Anyone can pass this class. there is no test requirement. All they need to do is be there and practice the skills and listen. There isn't even a CPR test. However the student will be better prepared to deal with an emergency after they take the course than they were before they took it. It doesn't matter who you would choose to work on you because when your in a group of people who are not med pros you don't have a choice. But...if your lucky enough to be around someone who can prioritise tasks and provide BLS you just might survive.

blueabysss once bubbled...
as has been said repeatedly, what is taught at dive classes is very little at best poor. Leave medical work to the pros. there is a real danger that after any of those diving classes, they might think they're certified EMTS.:doctor:

You really think so? I think it's a silly notion.

gjmmotors once bubbled...
Last time I checked the padi program did not include any clinical practice. Would I trust someone to work on me if all they had were a padi card, and the class taught by a non-healthcare person?
I am a firm believer in the lack of training involved in a PADI class, any run of the mill idiot can pass it as long as they pay.

As a nationally registered EMT-B, I spent over 120 hours in class and clinical work. I also carry my own malpractice insurance. My health care provider CPR and AED cert was over 8 hours long.
Every 3 years I am required to re-cert for emt-b and take the required CME classes.

As compared to a padi MFA, who would you rather work on you?

gjm
(big anti-padi advocate)

How is this in any way relevant to a FIRST AID course? What other agencies offer a clinical portion to their first aid course? AHA, no. ARC, no. You yourself stated that the AHA and ARC "are perfect places to go and learn CPR/AED." The PADI course was developed based on AHA guidelines for CPR. (as are most all first aid/CPR courses) So just because it was developed by PADI it is automatically horrible? Give me a break. Actually, looking at the materials it looks like a good first aid course. The course in no way confers to the students that they are highly trained medical personnel after completing the course. It tells them exactly what it should, that they are trained in BASIC FIRST AID!

Personally, if I am in need of CPR I would be more than happy to have someone first aid trained work on me. Would an EMT or Paramedic be better? Of course, but the chances are a lot more slim that you will have one around when you need one. I will take what I can get.

Anyone know if this is still the case? Do PADI's emergency first responder courses now provide an accredited Canadian first aid certification? I don't really want to revive a 7 year old discussion but this thread still comes up in the first couple pages of hits for emergency first aid in Canada on Google.

It seems that a lot of the posts in this thread are missing the point. Yep, any training is better than no training in the case of an emergency. However, if you live in Canada, and you have the choice to pay for a course that will get you first aid certification versus a class that won't get you first aid certification, and both satisfy the PADI req, why not take the one that gets you certified?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom