According to the BBC:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

audission

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/5223142.stm

"Experts have clashed over the existence of Great White Sharks off the UK coast.
Speculation is mounting amid a series of claimed sightings by holidaymakers and fishermen and a new documentary on BBC One on Sunday."

Strikes me that fishermen and tourists are probably two of the most unreliable sorts of witnesses out there - the former because of the "you should have seen it" factor, the latter because they rarely see the sea at all.

So, any divers seen any large predators then? Someone at my dive club said they saw Orcas off the Isle of Man last week. :hideing_b :butnhome: :jaws:

These great white stories appear reliably every single year from April onwards. Not once have they been confirmed or dismissed. Its possible GWS are around but in reality nobody has proven it. This rumour will vanish in a month or two and reappear next spring again.

Deff nice to think there are some BIG fish off our coasts. Tink it was last year there were carcasses of porpoises and seals found along the berwickshire coast which were supposed to have been attacked and killed by mako sharks. Certainly keep my eyes open atst abbs!

Who are the fisherman? Are they recreational or commercial? Commercial fisherman spend a lot of time on the sea and are usually a good source.

Last week or so possible Great white sighting down Cornwall way,some photos of huge fin in papers,nothing like the basking sharks which you can see down there and imagine there has to be some around UK waters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom