Monoxide Poisoning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikerault:
Where the tanks tested? I know this was asked before but no one responded. If the tanks had no issues then it becomes really interesting.

Mike

It hasn't been answered because I don't know if they HAD been tested or whether they HAVE been tested subsequently. I'm fairly certain they have, but I don't know the results.

There was a 3rd diver who had a drysuit leak upon entering the water and aborted. Presumably that tank had the same fill in it, though I have no way to confirm this. In any case, potentially one very lucky diver.

Since CNS from OXTOX seems to very greatly, it's still somewhat perplexing that two divers would both suffer the same fate. I simply can't imagine pure O2 in the tanks considering the considerations one must take in filling pure O2, but I'm still at odds to explain to myself what happened here. Remember the Total Time below surface was (supposedly) only 18 minutes.

AK....tried to reply to your PM, but you've got me blocked????

Try again Lori, I didn't block you but the board suddenly had me as an 'unregistered' user. ??

Oh, and there's still no updates on this incident.

Interesting thread. Based on what I've read so far I would bet on OxTox as well.

How are you involved with any of this? Were you that third diver?

I am only involved in that I know all the people connected in this incident, the divers, the tenders, the EMT's etc...

I still want to know if the gas was tested for content, rather than just monoxide. I heard a rumor ( and I treat it as such ) that the gas was tested and cleared. Again, hopefully they tested for all the gases in the tanks, not just for monoxide.

Two possibilities, frozen regulators leading to a fight over air, or oxygen convulsions. How and why would a medical supply house have Scuba yoke or DIN adapters to fill those tanks?. Air supply was "cleared"? Uhhum. Wonder what they checked for? Carbon monoxide is unlikely to have been present. Volatiles like toluene would have been detected at the start of the dive. Did anyone check for oxygen content? They may even have been breathing anesthetic gas. The alleged incident would be air/gas related, IMO.

Well I'm not certain that it WAS a medical supply house that filled the tanks, consider that a rumor. What is fact is that the tanks were sent out to be filled and were not filled by their own fill station. I too doubt CO and tend to believe pure or near 100% O2 was in the tanks, thus not being a problem until over 20fsw.

A fight over air on by well trained experienced divers in less than 40ft of water doesn't seem too likely IMO. My hunch is still CNS by pure or near pure O2.

My sincere condolences to everyone affected by this accident.

Anyway, as I said - I believe OxTox to be the issue here. Is there still any chance for the blend to get tested? The results of this would solve this mystery in seconds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom