Ft Lauderdale area instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a friend who will be in the Ft. Lauderdale area next week on vacation at his family's vacation home. He doesn't have anything scheduled and was thinking about getting certified. (I would do it, but he's on the other side of the country.) He will only be there from Monday until Friday. I know this is short notice, but does anyone know of a good instructor that can schedule this? In researching some of the shops, I'm not too impressed. One shop even does a 1 tank/2 dive shore dive on their first day of checkouts. :confused: I realize he won't get the best course possible in only a week with such short notice, but getting him set up in the best course that can be done in a week would be great. Thanks.

Rob, quite a few schools here do OW dives 1 & 2 off the beach, since they're basically skills demonstration dives. Besides, since shore diving is quite popular in So. Fla., it is almost a necesity, in order to cover different entries. If the op does 1 & 2 off a boat, it's usually in 30 fsw or less. Dives 3 & 4 are almost always done off a boat in order to expose the student to the OW recommended limit.

At any rate, if you haven't already, and Agency choice isn't an issue, have your friend check out Force-E Scuba (SSI). They have three shops in So. Fla., one in Pompano Beach, Boca, and Riviera Beach, the latter beign the further north. Pompano and Boca are within 7 miles of eachother.

You might also want to PM ReneeC, and see if she has the availability. Renee is an awsome instructor (NAUI, but I'll forgive her for that :wink:) and a personal friend.

I would also suggest Pro Dive, but their next OW class is not until Oct. 17.

Take care, and good luck to your friend.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Scubaguy62:
Rob, quite a few schools here do OW dives 1 & 2 off the beach, since they're basically skills demonstration dives. Besides, since shore diving is quite popular in So. Fla., it is almost a necesity, in order to cover different entries. If the op does 1 & 2 off a boat, it's usually in 30 fsw or less. Dives 3 & 4 are almost always done off a boat in order to expose the student to the OW recommended limit.

At any rate, if you haven't already, and Agency choice isn't an issue, have your friend check out Force-E Scuba (SSI). They have three shops in So. Fla., one in Pompano Beach, Boca, and Riviera Beach, the latter beign the further north. Pompano and Boca are within 7 miles of eachother.

You might also want to PM ReneeC, and see if she has the availability. Renee is an awsome instructor (NAUI, but I'll forgive her for that :wink:) and a personal friend.

I would also suggest Pro Dive, but their next OW class is not until Oct. 17.

Take care, and good luck to your friend.

Rick, I'm not so concerned about the shore dives. I do shore check out dives. My concern is that they only use one tank for both dives. That means they're limiting themselves to no more than 30 minutes each dive. This is plenty of time to do the skill sets, but not much time for diving and working on buoyancy. I don't agree with cutting corners like that. An extra tank doesn't add much to the cost of the course. Just add $10 to the price to cover it. For me, agency isn't a factor. It's about the instructor. A card is a card. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pass this on to him.

Rob - I do have availability next week and could complete your friend in the one week if he was to commit quickly. I teach NAUI for private classes and also teach SDI through World Watersports in Dania which has an on-line format. If you want more information PM me and I'll give you some details and pricing.

RICK - I forgive you too. Oh Oh that reminds me.... I need to Put Another Dollar In my wallet for you! LOL (just kiddin!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom