Bbp???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FreeFruit Its not me I want the lines there because I'm a woman and feel safe diving with guide lines. Richard said the lines were replaced on the weekend so perhaps this is the end of the fiasco.

I-Smash-It-Diver

I was there this weekend when they said they were replacing them. Subsequent reports indicate the mystery line bandit is removing them again.

if you want the lines there why the flip-flopping about whether or not you want divers "littering" the underwater site?

I have dove this wreck many times and as I am not saying there is some moron or group of morons cutting the lines I do wonder how much of this is due to fishermans anchors I know last fall I came across 4 anchors tangled up in the lines its not uncommon to show up there to dive and have a dozen or so boats anchored over the wreck. I wonder if its almost a case of needing to lay out short sections of line so if one becomes snagged we dont loose a 100 ft run of line instead just a smaller 20 or so foot section (just a thought) there are so many groups using this site as well as individuals How hard would it be to organize a day to do clean up the site and set up new lines etc .

We could also constuct a tower and take turns shooting the A%^h&*#s on seadoos:confused:

Are you talking about BBP or confusing it with the JC Morrison in Barrie? While I understand your fustration with the fishermen and PWC's operators, I'm also a boater and from a boaters perspective, especially that of the fishermen, what gives divers the 'right' to exclusivity on the wreck? Fish like structure and if you've dove the Morrison or other wreck at the right time, it's just covered with fish, while the surrounding waters are nearly barren. So fisherment will want to fish where the fish are. It's be nice to head down on a weekend and not have boats all over the wreck, but we as divers have no more right to the wreck than they do. I treat it as a virtual overhead (stay on the bottom) and watch for the boats. As for BBP, you're diving from a PUBLIC, government dock, which was paced for the use of BOATS and abuts a marked channel, why would you expect boats to stay away? Reminds me of the kids swimming at the other Big Bay dock (Southn side of Colpoys Bay) last summer who were upset when we docked there for a half hour. IT'S A DOCK, docks are where you 'dock' a boat!!! They weren't installed as swimming locations.
I DO have a beef against those who do not follow the few boating regulations that exist, such as the 10KPH limit within 30 metres of shore. And those who race close to shore, when dive flags are present. But I don't expect the folks fishing to get off the wreck, just because they see a dive flag/float heading their way (I do expect them to leave it alone and not grab it on the way past).

Your Wright I am speaking of the morrison sorry the thread confused me as it seems some are speaking of BBP and some are speaking of the Morrison from what I read earlier . As I fully agree the fisherman have every wright to be there as do we as divers we as the divers need to come up with a better system for running the lines as I think the problem on the morrison is anchors getting caught up and pulling out the lines. I also agree with the theory of treating it as an overhead enviorment and do not carry a dive flag on that particular dive anymore . As I have never had a problem with the guys fishing I have had my dive flag used as a buoy by many of the seadoos in the past and this is why I carry a SMB in case of emergency.

There is no Canadian law and never was a law that stated how far a boat has to be from a dive flag. I have found that even with all these people getting there federally mandated boaters cards they still don't know what a dive flag means and its all courtesy if they stay clear of your flag or not. The diver has to be aware of his surroundings both above and below the water and have the skills to react quickly to avoid any potential accident.

Be careful

JD:no

Hi

All those test being offered at boat shows or on line have all been individually made up by the owners of the different teaching agencies. Next time your at a boat show check out several examination booths and you will see the test are all different and the rival between the booths owners to make a quick buck is ridiculous.The federal government allows them to make up there own exams to offer to the public for certification. If you came across a test that had a question about diving its just there as a courtesy to divers from the instructor because its an old timers rule of thumb but not a law. Next time you drive by a OPP marine unit office go in and ask the same question, you won't get a mandatory distance or law code # because they don't exist. More than likely they will tell you its a good idea to stay 50 feet away.

JD

NorthernShrinkage:
:mooner: Well If there is no law than why is it a question on the boater exam on how far you must stay away from a dive flag.:mooner:

JD is correct, a dive flag in Canada has no legal standing. On the flip side, divers have no legal requirement to drag one around either. In most of the Boating guides (study guides for the PCOC) it is listed and it's recommended that boats stay 100 feet away. I always thought I'd like to put together a floating mat of poly line that would cover an area 10 feet or more around my dive float. Something small enough to get sucked up by the intake on a PWC. A few strands of poly around the prop or impeller, will slow them down. The only exception I'm aware of in Canada is Five Fathoms Park (Toby), where it's a park law and enforced in the park. Most of the enforcement is making sure divers carry a flag, but if they do happen to catch a boat too close to a flag, the park wardens will ticket them.

Too many power boaters are idiots, that not only don't know about dive flags, bouys, no wake zones, speed limits, etc, they don't care in the slightest. Just another symptom of today's society, where it's all about me and too bad for you. :censored:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom