Span 12 and USS Strength 09/17/2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The bayou omelet is a thing of beauty and gustatory delight. Stuffed with fish and shrimp and oyster and scallops and cheese, washed down with hot coffee and cold orange juice, you just can’t ask for a better start to a Sunday morning on the way to the dive boat. If you’ve never made it to Bayou Joe’s for breakfast you’re missing a bet :)
This Sunday we were headed for the USS Strength – a 187’ retired Navy minesweeper sunk off Panama City as part of a Navy explosives test and as part of Florida’s artificial reef project. She lies in three pieces in about 80’ of water some six miles off the St. Andrews jetties. When sunk in 1987 she landed on her side; hurricane Opal set her upright in 1995 but in the process broke the bow and a part of the superstructure free, which lie within a few feet of the main hull.
Every time I dive the Strength now I see another bulkhead or deck that has collapsed. One more good storm and she’ll probably be just a rubble pile – so if you’re in the Panama City area put her on your list of sites to see soon.
When we arrived at the Strength we found her covered up with small boats, so moved the short distance over to Bridge Span 12 for the first dive. The old piece of the Hathaway bridge was positively covered up with critters…

Bank Seabass
Bank_Seabass.jpg

Belted Sandfish
Belted_Sandfish.jpg

Hermit Crab
Hermit_Crab.jpg

Juvenile Beaugregory
Juvenile_Beaugregory.jpg

Telesto soft coral
Telesto.jpg

Yellow-lined Arrow Crab
Arrow_Crab.jpg

And my favorites, Seaweed Blennies
Seaweed_Blenny.jpg

Seaweed_Blenny.jpg

Seaweed_Blenny.jpg

We did get to go to the Strength then… As I had no students this Sunday, I got to dive with the Lovely Young Kat and youngest daughter Sasha
Kat_Sasha.jpg

The Moon Jellyfish were out, waltzing by with their mesmerizing rhythm
Kat_Moon_Jellyfish.jpg

Sasha really is the mermaid…
Sasha.jpg

Sasha.jpg

Another wonderful day on the water with friends and fellow divers.
Life is good :D
Rick

Great pics...

Who'd you go out with and has the water temps cooled off any yet? (I'm guessing no on water temps going lower if they weren't wearing wetsuits in some pics)

mike_s:
Great pics...

Who'd you go out with and has the water temps cooled off any yet? (I'm guessing no on water temps going lower if they weren't wearing wetsuits in some pics)
PCDC & still bathing suit warm all the way down.
84 at 106' on Stage 1 Saturday

Another great report Rick! :D Its obvious you've gotten the hang of the C8080!

I saw my first octopus this year on the strength. Have a great time.

Cool. I almost got to dive the strength on the 9/3, but headed to the Black Bart instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom