What constitutes cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cold water? It's all what you are used to. I'm a warm water wimp and I am proud to say it, I don't get in my pool if the water is less than 80 deg F. Why? Because I don't have to, that's why. I like the water warm and if it's below about 85, I wear a shorty or farmer john while diving. So to me, anything in the 70's is cold. Below that? I've never dove below that. Maybe one day, but it'll be a cold day in .... :)

Have to reply to this. I dive in Ontario much like others on this post. I feel comfortable in a 3/2 7mm at 42F (for about 30 min or so....) I am also fairly aware of cold injuries and issues having been a Ski Patroller and a first aid instructor for a number of years.

But I am a new diver, certified this spring; (You really aren't a diver until you've removed & replaced 28lbs of weight belt wearing cold water gloves and I wouldn't even mention mask clearing....)so I am looking for the advice of more experienced of us!

Having grown up in a cold climate, (the day I was born it was -40, spent time in a tent at -60, swan in the big lake as soon as I could push the ice away) and I am aware that this affects my suseptibility to hypothermia. Will this impact the cold water 10 rules?

I have always added the 10 feet in any water where I wear a full 7mm (All of it <G>) Do I have to?

Ontario...

Twas born & bred in the same clime my friend. I agree the head to toe neoprene encasement necessitated by the northern environment does demand more of the underwater entrant. I tell my students they have an advantage in learning to dive in cold water with limited visibility because anything else is easier by comparison.

Two concerns when clearing a mask in cold water: beware the shock of that frosty water hitting your comparatively warm face; better to "kiss the water" on surface ( a phrase from Andrea Zafares of Lifeguard Systems ) to acclimate to the cold prior to decending. When you fit your mask to your face on surface, have your buddy insure the skirt is completely tucked under the cold water hood. When you purposely flood your mask @ depth, or especially, when it is unintentionally flooded, be prepared for a "gasp reflex" as the cold water shocks your face. The reflex may result in some water being taken in thru the nose with resulting gag/choke/cough response. Should this happen, remain calm, work your way thru it by coughing thru your reg.. You will slowly regain control.

Did you learn to "breathe-thru" a freeflow? If you didn't, it is a "must know" technique you must learn.

Know that with every dive in cold water you will get more & more comfortable with the cumbersome, restrictive gear necessary to diving cold temps.

One more thing...never, ever lose respect for the underwater environment, it can be very unforgiving.

Regards,
D.S.D.

The U.S. Coast Guard, Police, and EMS personnel define "cold water" as water that is 70 degress or below

Mario,
That is probably anything below 80 degrees.
Mike

Cold water is solid.
Diveable water is liquid.

Neil

I'm in complete agreement w/ SARdvr. Just thinking of getting into a wetsuit curls my skin - I just recently started wearing a skinsuit, only to avoid fire coral.

I would definitely have to say that anything under ~ 75F is way too cold for me to even consider, much less subject my nipples to. Jeez, my entire breasts will just fall off!

Congratulations, you're definitely a studmuff!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom