Mendocino Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

renpirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am just curious to see how many people on this board dive in Mendocino County and if so, what is your favorite spot and why?

Maybe you should ask who doesn't and why.

I don't, too far. Van Damme would be 5 hours 15 minutes, 300 miles, vs 50 miles, 52
minutes to Monterey. Now, if I lived in the North Bay, it would be a different story.

And there are a lot fewer places to put my boat in up there.

Good point. I would dive Monterey a lot more if I were closer. I would assume the answer to your question would be the same for most people who live in the South Bay.

However, I was hoping to find other people on this board who do like to make the trek up North or South if they are further up.

Last month I spent 3 weekends at Arena Rock and the surrounding pinnacles. One of the best and most unique spots in California. Packed with fish and inverts, some of which I hardly see anywhere else in California (yelloweye rockfish, sea strawberries). Great dramatic topography (caves!). That's it for my mendo diving, keen to go back.

Brian

Hey Brian good to hear from you. I have heard quite a bit about Areana Rock, but haven't had the chance to dive it yet. It is definitely on my list of must do dives.

i went ab diving in this cove just just south of russian gulch near fort bragg in april. it was a hell of a climb down, had to use ropes that were aleady stationed there.

abs a plenty there and really nice sized. only place we could find that day since swell was ridiculous. it looked like it would have been a great spot for scuba diving

I know the spot you are thinking about. Yeah it is quite a climb. For scuba diving, the nice dive is on the other side, Jack Peters Cove. I am hoping to hit that spot again when we go up ther next month.

I've been diving the north coast since i got certified in 79' one of my favorite ab spots is at the mendicino head lands, that is, if it's to rough to get my inflatable out of noyo harbor. i love diving the north coast, some of the best diving that i've ever done has been here! ken

That is a beautiful spot. The channel is a really cool area.

You know me Andy....Im gonna have to say my favorite dive in Mendo is Jack Peters. Humboldt (where im from) dives are great, but extremely limited due to vis and swells. Mendocino is always a great option. You know that we are north coast divers. While the circus in Monterey is cool, nothing beats having a good dive in even 5 feet of vis in the real NorCal Pacific.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom