Key Largo Dive Ops for AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KeyLargoBrent:
We sometimes swim out and drop over the forereef from the bow of the Benwood for the AOW deep dive. It's kind of eerie down there, 70-100' deep, with a fine sandy bottom, punctuated by ancient coral formations. There's also a memorial placque honoring "Pierre Morelli, Dive Instructor", whom I did not know.

It's a good place to have students solve problems underwater without having to "hide from the current" or "hang on for dear life"! Proper air management and good navigation skills are essential, as the drop-off is several hundred feet away from the wreck.
That is AWESOME, Brent. I've done that dive a few times...didn't know there was a drop off closeby.

Hello all,

Thanks for all the advice! I've decided to postpone my AOW and just work on getting comfortable in the water. I convinced adive buddy to come along and we are going to dive with Conch Republic.

I really appreciate all the adive...this is a great website!

I'll let you all know how my dives went.

Eric

KeyLargoBrent:
We sometimes swim out and drop over the forereef from the bow of the Benwood for the AOW deep dive. It's kind of eerie down there, 70-100' deep, with a fine sandy bottom, punctuated by ancient coral formations. There's also a memorial placque honoring "Pierre Morelli, Dive Instructor", whom I did not know.

Brent,

I've gone off the drop-off (120 degrees off the bow marker buoy) quite a few times but I've never seen the plaque. How long has it been there?? I probably have not done the deeper area for a few years.

NYCDiveGuy:
Hello all,

Thanks for all the advice! I've decided to postpone my AOW and just work on getting comfortable in the water. I convinced adive buddy to come along and we are going to dive with Conch Republic.

I really appreciate all the adive...this is a great website!

I'll let you all know how my dives went.

Eric

We dove with them last week -- had a great time!! If they don't already have it planned, ask them about 'Snapper Ledge'. I have NEVER seen so many fish in my life!! (If that's cool to ya...)

We're relatively new divers, and it was a great experience. It's a very laid-back group, comfortable boat and no worries... The water was so clear - you could see the bottom from onboard the boat...nice...

After you are done, you might stop at Islamorada Fish Company for a bite. Their food is awesome. It's about 5 - 8 miles south of Conch Republic. It's right on the water. The day we were there, they had a great steel drum guy playing cover tunes (old classics with a reggae feel -- ever heard 'Take Me Home Country Roads' on the steel drum??) Mention it to the folks inside that you might consider IFC...they might have a recommendation for ya. I loved the Coconut Shrimp -- they are huge!

Have a great time!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom