How do you keep warm during SI when it is cold outside??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

depending on the weather, i will peel down half my wetsuit and then put a sweatshirt on. if it is a lot colder, like jan feb time here, i climb completely out and hope that i can find another wetsuit to wear.

Walmart has 2 versions of the sportcat by coleman--- all versions at all stores that I have seen use the 16.4 oz propane bottle which runs about 2.70 each

WM version puts out 1000 btu's and costs about $25
the 3000 but is about $60

I bought the Sports Authority version of the sportcat 1500btu's coleman for $36 and tanks were 3 for 7.99 or 2.67 each
They also had 2 versions of a 3000 btu one for 54.99 and one for 74.99
I thought that if I needed to go up to 3000 I could get a second unit like I have now and still be in the $75 ball park, plus could place the units in two different spot.

I will do doing a drive way test this weekend. We are supposed to have a cold spell. That way I will know before I get to the lake if one unit will do the job.

I went with th 1500 btu unit because for only $10 more it had 50% more heat than the Walmart version. Says you and use it in indoors or a tent. Even with that in mind, I will be taking my carbon monoxide detector along just for kicks.:wink:

We get ice storms here a lot and loose power, so i will had it to my current heat back up plan to warm cool spots that need a quick shot of heat when the power is off.

Oh Dandy, your comment about the cold drinks. It has been in the high 90's all summer and so I meant that I keep a lot of cold drinks in the summer. We will have just as many drinks for this trip, just hot this time around. I am tea drinker and will will have about 20 kinds of hot tea for my buddies to try along with hot choc, cider, and coffee.:crafty:

Sounds great. This one: Coleman Sportcat Perfectemp Catalytic Heater
. Since its' catalytic, no worries about flame or carbon monoxide. I need to get one!! If my electricity goes out in an ice storm, I don't get heat either.

Oh Dandy, your comment about the cold drinks. It has been in the high 90's all summer and so I meant that I keep a lot of cold drinks in the summer. We will have just as many drinks for this trip, just hot this time around. I am tea drinker and will will have about 20 kinds of hot tea for my buddies to try along with hot choc, cider, and coffee.
Okay, sounds great. I just have seen divers screw up drinking cold beverages.

When I used to dive wet, I loved A535.... Rub some on, feel the heat! Hehehehe! I still pack a tube of it now when I know there'll be wetsuiters on site.

scubagirl15:
When I used to dive wet, I loved A535.... Rub some on, feel the heat! Hehehehe! I still pack a tube of it now when I know there'll be wetsuiters on site.
A535 - not the laptop pc. :lol2:

Leah just remember those heaters do get hot so don't let neoprene get against them, it burns/melts--don't ask how I know :wink:

I've used mine in my sleeping tent as well as my surface interval tent and love them!
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber, I will think happy thoughts about you while I am warm in the tent!!! Thanks for the tip on the heater and the neo.

Dandy, yep that is the heater. Sells for $36 in the store in SC. I use a kerosene heater and gas logs as my main heat source during the ice storm power outages. I cook on top of the kerosene heater. Last time we were without power for 6 days. I found that my coleman 10" box fan set 5 feet from the heater on a pail really mixed up the air well. I get 16 hours off 1 set of batteries on low. This sportcat would have been nice to heat my cool spots. Walmart sells a 4D florescent lantern for $10 that will light a whole room if you need light and the batteries seem to last forever.

Now back to the sportcat Dandy, you said:
"Since its' catalytic, no worries about flame or carbon monoxide."

Can you explain that a bit more about the carbon monoxide and anything about oxygen depletion in a small space???
Thanks,
Leah

Ber, how many btu's on your heater, what size surface tent and what outdoor temps are you facing and how warm you can get it in the tent with your setup and conditions? Just wondering if I have the right size heater.

Something else I haven't seen mentioned is you want to avoid the caffeine. Hot tea and coffee (unless it's decaf) won't do you much good. Caffeine will restrict your blood flow a bit and won't aide in warming. The best thing you can drink is something like hot cider that's warm and has lots of sugar.

Otherwise, you seem to have it covered.

This must be an all day ordeal. A tent? A heater? It sounds like about the same temps we get here in the winter and we just peel the wet suit down, toss the parka and beanie on and hang out by the car. That's if I'm not too cold to do a second dive. :p

Back
Top Bottom