Stingray jumps in boat injures man

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like a fishtale to me . The ray lept out of the water? Maybe because it was hooked on his fishing line?

It seems VERY odd that it "lept into the boat".. I agree that it most likely was caught and brought on board. I just have a hard time picturing a spotted eagle ray leaving the water with enough speed to get into a boat.. I can't remember seeing any ray jump out of the water for that matter..

EDIT: Okay.. I have now seen pictures of rays jumping.. VERY Cool looking! Didn't know they could do that..

Rays do leap up out of the water... it almost appears to be "flying" if you see it! Really, to see it, it's quite cool. But it was just doing what rays do... and I hate all the bad press that they are getting. Let's put ourselves in the ray's, uh, skin (?) for a moment....

It's swimming along, breaching or leaping from the water, havin' a good ole' "ray" of a time... when.... OH! I've landed in something that's NOT water! OH, My... so it jumps around, trying to get back to the water, and just "happens" to barb the guy in the chest.

Do we all really think it was "trying" to "attack" the guy? I don't. But, unfortunately, now they will be getting more bad raps by the general non-diving community. Sad, really.

I gotta admit when my dive instructor told me a few months ago that stingrays fly I was kinda like "yah, sure," but this changes my mind. He was telling me there has been a similar accident before. Anyone know anything about a stingray jumping out of the water and hitting someone in the heart near Australia?

fairybasslet:
Sounds like a fishtale to me . The ray lept out of the water? Maybe because it was hooked on his fishing line?

I was thinking the same thing ... that he was fishing and it "bit" the bait laying on the bottom and he pulled it on board. It's very possible though that he did try and toss it back not quite knowing what it was, and the news media, looking for more impressive "hype" lays it out as a sting ray attack. Either the reporter is close to loosing his job and looking for "exclusive" points, or the periodical is fairly small and they're looking to "expand" their market share.

I hope he gets better. :)

-----

Mike.

The stingrays are on a campaign to gain respect from the world. You see they are tired of sharks and things with big teeth getting all the attention. So just give the stingrays some credit and everything will be ok

:D

Threads have been merged.

I have seen Manta Rays many times jump completely out of the water @ the Flower Gardens NMS.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom