Navel piercing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CTurtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I want to get my navel pierced, but would like to know if anyone has had problems with it rubbing against their wetsuit. I'm going to Florida next month to dive & if I'm going to have problems with it, I'll just wait to have it done til next winter (where there's NO chance that I'll be in the water)!!

Thanks!
Cindy
:wink:

Hi,
I would suggest to let it completely heal before you go into water because the infection risk would be quite high. Then when it is healed I would tape the ring the first months when wearing a wetsuit because the rubbing might make it move and damage the new skin which is really thin the first months.
Caro

I would wait until after your trip to get it done. Each piercing is different and they can sometimes take a while to heal. The piercing itself doesn't usually hurt but it will probably be sore for a few days afterward. Be sure to have it done by a reputable piercer. Clean it 2-3 times a day with something like Bactine and be sure to apply Neosporin 2-3 times per day, rotating the ring back and forth to work the Neosporin into the piercing.

On the topic of your wetsuit irritating the piercing, I would say it probably will just a bit. Especially if you have a wetsuit that happens to have the zipper in the front. I found that wearing a one piece bathing suit helped a lot in cutting down the irritation in the beginning. Once you have become accustomed to the piercing, you should be able to wear whatever you normally wear under your wetsuit.

Also, I personally wouldn't recommend taping the piercing. It may hold it in place, but you still have to remove the tape, which can do as much damage as the wetsuit rubbing against it. This is just another reason to wait until after your trip to get it done.

Good Luck.

Dear Cindy,

You might be wondering why a dentist would be writing you about navel piercing.

It turns out that in dentistry, we use a variety of metals--some of which have less than desirable properties.

Anywhere from 15-25% of women are allergic to nickel. Men have a lower incidence--presumably because they wear less jewelry and are therefore exposed less.

Nickel is considered a "base metal" in dental use. It is neither a precious metal like silver or a noble metal like gold or platinum. Nickel is a component of certain surgical stainless steels.
The initial stud and cover is commonly made of surgical stainless steel and unless you know otherwise, it would be safe to assume that it is alloyed with nickel.

My own "policy" at the office to to NEVER use a nickel containing metal for crowns and bridges. Chrome-cobalt steel is used for removable partial dentures. While still considered a base metal, I have only seen one case of allergy with chrom-cobalt steel in 28 years.

Nickel allergy may manifest as a severe gingivitis or redness around the necks of teeth with crowns on them. This can occur in an otherwise clean mouth and no evidence of plaque or other factors that may irritate the gums may be present. The soft tissue often looks like it was burned or is infected with a virus. Pus may be present--making the diagnosis even more difficult. The same type of redness, inflammation and pus can be seen around pierced ears when a nickel containing stud is used.

Before you ask...IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO TELL BY LOOKING IN THE MOUTH IF NICKEL IS PRESENT.

The metal was commonly used by dentists when gold prices exceeded $900/ounce many years ago. The metal is very strong and very hard. It is extremely difficult to cut through when removal is necessary. The metal doesn't cast as well as gold so the finished margins are not as sharp.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts15.html

Another metal I forbid in my office is beryllium. It too has potential allergies and the ground dust is dangerous to inhale. Beryllium may also be toxic and a carcinogen.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts4.html

Beryllium is used as a neurton relector in nuclear weapons. This is just an interesting aside--it has no bearing on its dental uses.

I have more reservations using these metals than I do using mercury. Evidence about mercury is NOT well established and while opinions on each side exist, scientific evidence showing actual dangerous effects is lacking. There is no doubt that mercury allergy can occur but it is extremely rare. Toxicity to elemental mercury does exist and is known--however, once mixed with the dental amalgam, mercury is made unreactive. Anectdotal "evidence" to the contrary, the billions of fillings and years of use seem to bear out its efficacy.

The same cannot be said for nickel. The allergy is well established and exceeds that of mercury. Except as a cost cutting measure (read HMO) its use is questionable except in cases requiring an extrordinarily hard metal. IMHO, beryllium is NEVER indicated due to risk to staff and patient.

Now, getting back to your navel...the navel site is commonly associated with "infections" after piercing. I would contend that what passes as infection, in many cases, is, in fact, skin allergy to the constituent nickel.

Without getting into a debate about piercing, suffice to say that if you are going to do this procedure, you might want to see whether you are nickel sensitive. If you are, this might never heal properly.

I repeat, If you cannot wear steel pierced earing studs, develope rashes on the neck next to faux jewely or know you are allergic to nickel, don't pierce the navel.

BTW did I happen to mention allergy to adhesives used on medical tapes?....How about neoprene...never mind. :) Oh, yeah...some people are sensitive to Neosporin and can react to it or have delayed healing.

Be careful out there...you gotta watch out for the Navel Sharks--they are often found in bars and dive boat platforms!

Larry Stein

Hi,
sorry, I disagree with Ladydiver :wink:
I would not use something like Neosporin, because it slows down the developement of new tissue/skin.
I don´t think that taping after the first time of healing would do any harm. If you watch sports you can see that many people do it to stop the piercing from moving. My experience with this method is fine.
For the metal of the piercing I only accept titanium for the first jewelery.

I have a friend who has a tattoo/piercing shop. I was thinking of getting a navel piercing myself, but she told me that I would be wise to keep out of salt water entirely until the piercing has completely healed (fresh is another story). She also said that it can take up to a year for such a piercing to completely heal. That's when I decided to skip the navel piercing.

Food for thought?

I guess I'll just wait til next winter to get it done...:(

nitroxbabe:
I would have thought that salt water would help in the healing process rather than fresh water. Did she tell you why??:confused:

nitroxbabe once bubbled...
. . . she told me that I would be wise to keep out of salt water entirely until the piercing has completely healed (fresh is another story). She also said that it can take up to a year for such a piercing to completely heal. That's when I decided to skip the navel piercing.
Hi Nitroxbabe,

I think your friend has got this the wrong way round! Salt water immersion is most certainly good for burns as we found out from the more rapid recovery of pilots shot down in the sea during WWII.

By the way, as Dr Stein says, avoid Nickel. If you are not allegic to it now you may soon become so.

Just a little more about nickel allergy...probably more that you wanted to know.

Body piercing doesn't really care whether it's your navel, your ear or your nose. Sensitization to nickel can occur in any of these places.

True story....3 years ago my family went to Israel for my son's Bar Mitzvah--to be done at King Solomon's Temple. Quite awe inspiring.

My daughter who is three years older than my son went on ahead to spend an entire month in Israel...hiking, hanging out and having a general good time.

I returned before the rest of the family and had to pick-up my daughter at the airport. When i got there, I asked if she was OK and she said yes. Then I asked if she had any tatoos or piercings a father should know about and of course she said no.

My wife came home a week later and told me that my daughter "has something to tell me"...she had a pierced navel.

In the grand scheme of things, I much preferred the piercing to a tatoo. It took a month of trying to keep the site clean...to no avail. It constantly weeped and appeared infected. Finally, she removed the stud and it healed uneventfully.

God certainly works in strange ways!:)

Larry Stein

CTurtle once bubbled...
I guess I'll just wait til next winter to get it done...:(

nitroxbabe:
I would have thought that salt water would help in the healing process rather than fresh water. Did she tell you why??:confused:

No, she didn't. Hmmm... Dr. Stein says just the opposite. I may have to go ask more questions...

?

And/or rethink the navel piercing.... :)

Back
Top Bottom