PADI Wreck Specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubababe

Registered
Reaction score
I was hoping that someone could tell me what I should expect from a PADI Wreck Specialty? In particular I am wondering about the amount and nature of any theory.

Thanks in advance

A wreck specialty course should be introducing techniques to navigate a wreck and evaluate potential penetration points. You may actually penetrate a wreck, but that depends in part on access to suitable wrecks.

You should be getting familiar with reels and handling line in a manner to avoid entanglements.

The PADI Wreck Specialty is open to AOW divers it includes
Watching a video, reading the Wreck Diver book , quetions and answers for the theory.

The below is quoted from PADI's Site
"PADI Wreck Specialty

"The Practical is 4 dives on wrecks, includes The planning, organization, procedures, techniques, problems and hazards of wreck diving
The preparation and use of lights, air supplies, special equipment, penetration lines and reels
Limited-visibility diving techniques and emergency procedures.

Wreck penetration-training dives are limited to within the light zone and within 40 metres/130 feet from the surface, vertical and horizontal distance included. If the wreck used for training is located in deep water (over 18 metres/60 feet), the Deep Diver rating is recommended as a prerequisite for the Wreck Diver program.

I do wish you can actually have the course with an instructor who has done more than one wreck, and that you can actualy go into a wreck. The one i took was a waste of money, I won't mention the agency.

A common refrain found in many threads on this board is that regardless of agency, it is the instructor who consistently makes a course enjoyable and rewarding, or a disappointment.

A wreck course is no different. You might benefit significantly by simply asking for references. Ask for names of former students who would be willing to talk to you. Then follow up and contact them. Ask them whether they would spend the money again to take the course, if they had known then what they know now about how the course was taught. Comparison shop.

Doing your homework will not guarantee satisfaction, but you will be making a more informed decision. It's your money and your training. It may pay big dividends to do some legwork up front.

Safe diving,

Doc

Amen Doc Intrepid!

My Wreck Speciality was anything but a waste time and it was not that expensive either as far as course go.

Jonathan

A classroom session from the wreck specialty book. Discussion on equipment: redundant air, lights, reel, signals, slate, clips, cutting tool, contengency planning, wreck hazards, narcosis, faster air comsumption (on deeper wrecks), shorter bottom times and NDLs. And possible further specialty training requirements - such as night diver, enriched air, deep diver, photo, navigation, DPV etc. Also to define clearly the difference between recreational wreck diving and technical wreck diving, and throw in a little about war graves and moretoriums - as well as historically protected sites and a little on the law.

4 dives - 2 perimeter dives to scope the wreck and during the surface interval discuss concerns, such as surge pockets and suction issues over wreck openings, entanglement, silt. Then 2 penetration dives with limited penetration distance. Mainly to exercise buoyancy techniques to avoid silting, use the reel properly, signaling, and dive planning and use of the rule of thirds, etc.

As for penetration ... since your maxium depth in recreational diving is 130 feet, the total linear distance from surface to whatever point inside the wreck. So if you're diving on a 100 foot deep wreck that's a max of 30 feet penetration. After all this is recreational diving.

The first dive is navigating the outside of the wreck. the second is mapping the wreck. The third is working with lines OUTSIDE the wreck and surveying the wreck for penetration. The fourth dive is optionally a penetration dive.

Many instructors don't teach penetration. I don't think that's so bad cosidering they may not have much experince in an overhead. Also the class can be tought in areas that don't have any wrecks suitable for penetration. Many wrecks aren't suited fo penetration but that doesn't mean they aren't woth diving.

What I don't understand is the fact that the wreck course doesn't contain any where near the amount of line work that a cavern course does. In my experience wrecks can be way knarlier than caverns. The same penetration limits are imposed on bothe yet the cavern class includes way more line work.

I am not a certified cave diver, so am not qualified to comment in depth regarding caving. A few dives in the Ginnie Springs area, however, and some reading and discussions with cave divers have led me to conclude that running line in caves is significantly different than running line in wrecks.

Primarily, inside caverns and caves there are far fewer instances involving jagged metal edges, wire and pipe debris projecting down from "above" (from whatever it once was) to entangle the line, and the general abrasive patina that sea life lends to metal surfaces and shapes of all types. Fresh water cave environments are more conducive to use of thin braided nylon line. In many wrecks moreover there are strong currents and eddies that move the line back and forth repeatedly (over the rough edges). Caves represent a more static environment, along a wider range of environmental parameters.

I do not wish to start any arguments. I'm aware my comments may ignite the sort of discussion that 'solo diving' (and other hot button topics) tends to elicit. But there are debates among wreck divers regarding the wisdom and effectiveness of relying on line inside wrecks. Some prefer to proceed very slowly and learn the wreck over a large number of dives. There have been threads in the tec section on wreck diving which discuss this at greater length.

I am not recommending anything to anyone. But for new, aspiring wreck divers - I simply note that there are wrecks that do not lend themselves well to the use of penetration lines. Because of the greater likelihood of the line parting (at a point where it abraids against a sharp edge) under any sort of stress placed upon it (such as might occur were the diver to become entangled in the line), the running of penetration line in wrecks is - IMHO - an extremely advanced technique.

Also, those of you who are wreck divers can offer much more eloquent testimony than I to the fact that, while caves silt out also, the oxidization occurring inside wrecks causes passageways to silt out quickly and completely, as exhaust bubbles and diver movement shakes oxides and other particulate matter loose from every surface inside the wreck. (Not to mention the silt stirred up beneath you from the motion of your fins). Unless a diver has experience following a line and operating in near-zero degree visibility, IMHO that diver has no business penetrating the interiors of any serious wrecks.

So for those reading this thread who have not yet enjoyed much experience inside wrecks...

Some things a basic wreck class should teach you are not to penetrate wrecks PERIOD - without a significant amount of experience and demonstrated skill in diving techniques that -

1. Provide you with superior line handling ability OUTSIDE the wreck, before penetrating inside it (if you intend to run line inside a wreck); and

2. Provide you with bouyancy control abilities far better than most divers demonstrate, to minimize the silting of the wreck interior that will occur as you pass through it (thereby complicating your exit).

Remember also that hatches can close or debris shift so as to block your exit. Teamwork is important inside wrecks. Communications are critical, when signals must be given by the lead diver reaching back between their legs to communicate to the diver behind them in a tight passage. Tools/pry bars can come in handy. There are many environmental parameters that are unique to wreck interiors. Dive teams should discuss these matters at length before penetration.

Aspiring wreck divers need to deeply understand that penetrating wrecks is not to be done lightly. Like cave diving, wreck penetration is notoriously intolerant of error or misjudgement.

Review this site:
www.scubadiving.com/training/lessons/october02.shtml

I agree with you completely, Mike, on one thing:

In my opinion, divers who wish to perform deep wreck penetrations should first take cave classes, to develop line handling and bouyancy control skills that can thereafter be modified for use inside wrecks.

(Actually, Mike, I agree with you on many things. I find your posts to be informative, and don't mean anything above to be challenging to you.)

Safe wreck diving, scubababe.:doctor:

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom