no mask/ read gauges?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jon m

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hey all-
is there any way to read your gauges if you have no mask on underwater? it seems on other threads there are hints of a technique, but no explanation... not that i want to HAVE to do it, just thought i'd like to know if i HAVE to do it! :D
thanks!
-me

Supposedly, you could create an air pocket by holding your hand above your eyes like a visor, cupping it slightly to catch exhaust exhaled through your nose. and then bring the gauge up to read it. Never tried, never seen it done, but I have heard about it from more than one person.

The hand cupping technique works until you need reading glasses built into your mask just to be able to see your guages in normal circumstances.

Try making a tiny pinhole by curling up your fore finger. This works underwater, despite distance, astigmatism etc. Reasonably good light helps.

or you can try the legendary ninja technique

trap air withyoru eyelashes :D
i need to try that next time i go out

I can catch a little pocket of air under my left brow (why it does not work on the right I don't know) and I used to be able to read my guages, but now I need glasses so I carry a spare mask.

Sounds like time to clip those brows... :)
If I just hold my gauges close I can read them. (Practice -- years of being very nearsighted before Lasik)

An easy way to get started on this is in the pool try cupping your hand around the eye (my left works right has a leak) the next thing is to put your head so eyes are horizontal then blow out through your mouth (or reg if trying with scuba first) move your head much and the bubble escapes. its cool the first time you do it but not very practical.

you could get an old mask with no glass in it just to try it out (better seal)

markfm:
Sounds like time to clip those brows... :)
If I just hold my gauges close I can read them. (Practice -- years of being very nearsighted before Lasik)
No way! Gandalf's my hero.

If you have high contrast, analog mechanical guages and your familiar with the pointer/number positions you can determine psi and depth and time sufficiently to return to the surface. It is definitly blurry but I can see the black needle against the luminescent green/yellow faces and it's "clocking" relative to position of the guage enough to have a very close idea of what they are reading.

Digital stuff, probably not. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom