will any webbing material do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most common harness lacing pattern for most backplates has the webbing crossing the tank side of the plate at the top. If your plate has tank attachment hole under the webbing you need to make a matching hole in the webbing. (DSS plates do not require a hole, as the webbing slots are located to miss the tank mounting holes)

The easiest way I know of is a hot soldering iron, just melt a hole, no grommet needed. The loads on the webbing at this point are trivial. If you were to cut the webbing in half at this point you still could not pull the shoulder strap out of the plate due the double slots at the top of each shoulder strap.

Regarding slot finishing. If you need to deburr and radius harness slots I'd recommend buying a couple sheets of "crocus cloth" It's like sand paper, but uses a cloth backing instead of paper. 120-180 grit.

Tear the cloth into strips and use them "shoeshine" style to buff out the slots. Narrow strips for the slot ends, ~1" wide for the slot sides. Clamping the plate to a bench helps too.

Tobin

I was asking because Halcyon back plates have their mounting holes for doubles or single adaptor (which ever one you choose) to go right though the webbing. That's why they have the Stainless steel grommet. The Triglides are enough to keep the webbing in place in my opinion, I guess Halcyon designed it that way for that extra security.

cool_hardware52:
The easiest way I know of is a hot soldering iron, just melt a hole, no grommet needed. The loads on the webbing at this point are trivial. If you were to cut the webbing in half at this point you still could not pull the shoulder strap out of the plate due the double slots at the top of each shoulder strap.

Tobin

Thanks for the tip Tobin

Jorbar1551:
what kind of damage?

Let's just say carrying a full set of gear to the site on your shoulders by the thinner webbing will leave 'dents' in your skin and some nice colorful bruises in the collarbone and shoulder area. Then again, they're gone in 3-4 days and you can go again! :14:

Whale Whisperer:
Thanks for the tip Tobin

Glad to help. If you don't have a soldering iron you can heat up a brass cartridge (just the empty cartridge, don't need any darwin award candidates) and press it thru the webbing. .38cal .40 cal, etc.

Pliers and a propane torch, hot, ouch, becareful!

Don't do it over your wing either.

Tobin

Tobin makes good stuff and gives wise counsel . . . heed and learn.

the K

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom