Anybody ever doubled up small tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My ldc has bands for 40's never looked at the price, but they had them.

I have a set of ballout tanks for commerical diving, twin about 36's or so. neat for setting the anchor, or other quick dives.

ScottB:
Try finding bands to bolt the 40s together.. :wink:

You could probably rig up a pair of 40s as independent doubles pretty easily...

Or.... you could give side mount doubles a try =)

ScottB:
You could probably rig up a pair of 40s as independent doubles pretty easily...

Or.... you could give side mount doubles a try =)
I was actually thinking about this recently. If you could get them to trim out well sidemounted aluminum 63s or 40s seem like they could be kind of fun :) They would also make a sweet solo rig for someone who was so inclined.

~Jess

I doubled up a pair of Faber LP 46's.

Same weight as a LP 95.

I built them for my daughter. (Thanks Ken for the deal on the bottles)

I made the bands, 3" wide 16 ga SS. They use a 215 mm Thermo Manifold

She will need a custom ~25 lbs "doubles" wing, but she has connections :wink:

Tobin

I've got a pair of lp 45s sitting just a few feet away. They are former Survivair tanks, and look and perform nicely. But I can even beat that. Sitting next to those are 2 pairs of doubled 14's!
main.php

For size reference, that's a Conshelf XI on the yoke. Survivair put them out with a modified Aquarius regulator(not surprising, since Survivair was part of US Divers). I got them to make a SASY unit for my kids(strap the tanks to some life jackets, so they can't submerge).

I love my Double 50s. Modern Luxfer 50s on a SHerwood dual post manifold, center and side. Modenr stainless bands with Hammerhead BP. Balance is good, bouyancy not bad, not to heavy either.

The reason some of you complain about being top/head heavy with small doubles is that you have them hiked up to high, they have to be set much lower than is currently fashionable. While you do have to reach back and lift up to access the valves, having the short tank high as is the current standard will cause you to be front/top heavy. Put them down where they belong and the balance becomes very good. N

Creed:
I've got a pair of lp 45s sitting just a few feet away. They are former Survivair tanks, and look and perform nicely. But I can even beat that. Sitting next to those are 2 pairs of doubled 14's!
main.php

For size reference, that's a Conshelf XI on the yoke. Survivair put them out with a modified Aquarius regulator(not surprising, since Survivair was part of US Divers). I got them to make a SASY unit for my kids(strap the tanks to some life jackets, so they can't submerge).

Do you dive the double lp45's? If so how do they balance compared to an al 80 or similar?

Twin 40s are lovely, flat, close to your back esecially scrambling accross a rock stewn beach.

Jimmer:
Do you dive the double lp45's? If so how do they balance compared to an al 80 or similar?

Yes, I dive the 45s. They balance well. I prefer them to AL 80s. They give me a little more air than an 80, and fit my double hose regulators better. They were inspired by Nemrod's double 50s.

An instructor friend of mine actually doubles up twin 13's (or 19's, I can't remember) for her daughter who just got certified.

Back
Top Bottom