How do I improve my air consumption?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman once bubbled...
Speaking as the Regional Director of the
AFAHAHB [American Federation of Air Hogs
And Heavy Breathers] I can tell you that your
need for air is directly related to the need of
your brain for O2. Yes, you really are smarter
than people that "sip air." When those sparks
start jumping around in your head it takes
copious amounts of O2 to keep them going!

Breath deep, breath often.....:wink:

I don't think I want ot talk about my air consumption now. !

That's too funny!

Hi Again.

ThanX for all the Great Responses.

Yeah, I don't dive as much as I like, hopefully that will change soon. :)

Also learn to frog-kick. Not only will this help your air consumption but you'll kick up less dirt from the bottom.

The Frog Kick. Yes, I know how to do this, but have never heard of doing it while diving. Is this a common practice? I will give it a shot.

What sort of breathing techniques have you tried? Breathing deeply and slowly, with a slight pause between breaths works well for me...

Yes, but when I breath deeply, and slowly, sometimes I will begin to ascend upon by deep inhalation. So that doesn't always work.:confused:

How much air to you use in your BC/wing - how often do you adjust it during a dive?

I don't use much air, and only adjust maybe a couple times at the begining of the dive.

How fit are you out of the water ?

Is the equipment you are using yours and well maintained ?

Do you feel relaxed in the water ?

I'm pretty fit, I KiteSurf too, as well as regular swimming/Snorkel, walking, and jogging.

The equipment I used wasn't mine, but was hired. And yeah, I feel comfortable in the water.=-)

:) Cool ThanX Everybody for all the Help. :wink:

But it is not the size.

I am about the same 6'4" and 205#. I consume less air than most of my buddies. It wasn't always like this.

Dive more and practice your breathing. It will get better.

Ari :wink:

If you can do all that has been suggested, then you don't have to be conscious of being the diver to go low on air first in a group. Hey, you could be diving with some very experienced divers, or those with smaller bodies/lung volume. Can't compete with them assuming skill levels are just the same. :)

lawman said: Speaking as the Regional Director of the AFAHAHB [American Federation of Air Hogs And Heavy Breathers] I can tell you that your need for air is directly related to the need of your brain for O2. Yes, you really are smarter than people that "sip air." When those sparks start jumping around in your head it takes copious amounts of O2 to keep them going!

Speaking as a biologist, breathing has nothing to do with the need for O2 but the need to expell CO2. :shakeno:

:wink:

I found for me that breathing on a count works great for me. I breath in on a 4-5 count, pause slightly (keeping my airway open!) and then breath out on a 5-7 count. When I started doing this, I saw an immediate drop in my SAC rates.

Try it, you'll like it! :rofL:

Hello,

I tend to be the first to pull the plug during my dives. Not by a lot, but I wish it could be someone else calling it from time to time. As I think that I have my set-up and weighting in control, I'm quite physically fit and usually very comfortable in the water, is there any Zen like advise out there to cut the breaths back a little?

Thanks,

Jimi

Jimi, there are several reasons why you are consuming more air than others. Are you new to the sport? If so that kinda sums it up....get more dives in and with experience you will be amazed how well your air consumpion will improved. How about size? Are you a big guy? You may want to think about a bigger cylinder. If you're diving with someone or others with a smaller lung volume(s) then you you will of course use air faster.

take care and good luck,
Bill

but have you tried the frog kick? Are you trimmed to be horizontal without any motion? Is everything tucked in close to your body? Do you have adequate thermal protection? You mentioned being physically fit--I think the more pertinent question would be are you aerobically fit?

Are you bigger than the folks you normally dive with?

Many things affect air consumption.

How about you just get a bigger tank?

I also used to be bad on Air, so I got a bigger tank, got fit and now I am usually the last out of the water.

Physical Fitness and being relaxed are the keys to air consumption. I found Yoga also helped to control my breathing

As you sure are to get the best advices on how to lower your air consumption (and hopefully will reduce yours), I'm just going to tell you about a friend of mine-

This guy was in the navy seals, so you can't say he was in bad shape, or didnt know how to dive. Still, this guy had the lousiest consumption I've seen. We used to work for the same center, whenever he went diving with students, he took the biggest tank, and still finish it when his students had half a tank.

Now I'm not trying to discourage you- this guy had lousy consumption after hundreds of dives, most people get better. Just remeber that if you cant improve by much, there's absolutly nothing wrong with that. Some profesionals are much worse than you in that field.

Back
Top Bottom