USVI St. Thomas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the review on St. Thomas and especially for the warning about Dive World. Wife and I are taking a cruise in March and one stop is St. Thomas. I planned on diving there, but will have to make sure I don't go with Dive World. What cruise line were you on. Mine will be Royal Caribbean, and just wanted to know if that's who you were on. Thanks.

Although I have never been on a cruise, I overheard a customer telling my LDS that the cost of the dive (offered by the cruise lines) was very expensive - esp since they were going to use their own gear. The LDS owner suggested that its usually best to research Dive ops your self (once you know your cruise schedule) and plan a dive withOUT the use of the activity desk on the ship. Again, since I've never been on a cruise I don't know if this is possible.

Sorry you had a bad experience - I did a "resort course" in St. Johns (many moons ago) prior to being qualified - I was really impressed by the vis - it seemed you could see forever!

...steve...

Sorry about your experience!

For those thinking about the US Virgin Islands you should try the British Virgin Islands. Great diving, with a more islandy feel. Less built up, less people etc. Plus there is the RMS Rhone which is an awesome dive. Technically you can do this from the US Islands but the boat ride is really long. Much closer from Virgin Gorda so more comfortable.

Virgin Gorda also has the Baths which are a must see. It also has some nice beaches and great restuarants.

Wow, all I can say is Wow. I would have been pissed as well. Double ditto on Chris Sawyer out of St. Thomas and if you want better diving get off St. Thomas. For a real fun trip, charter with the Antiquity out of Red Hook harbor. The captain, Dave is an awsome diver and knows all the best spots in VI. We spent New Years for Y2K with him anchored off of Norman Island and it was awsome. We dove up and down and liked Virgin Gorda, Peter Island, and Norman Island the best. The Rhone is a good dive as well.

Hi,

I'm going to St. Thomas in April. Does anyone have suggestions on places to stay that are convenient for daily diving?

Thanks.

Barry

I stayed at the Holiday Inn a couple of years ago, dove with Admiralty. They are on site at the Holiday Inn. They'll transport you to the marina from the shop. I've heard they sold, not sure about the new owners.

I live and work as a dive instructor in ST Thomas. One would need a little more information to answer your question. If you wish to contact us at sawyerdive@islands.vi we will try to help guide you or check out our web site at sawyerdive.vi

If you are going to stay in St Thomas make sure you get to The Baths one day (BVI) and The RMS Rhone (BVI) for at least one days diving. Email the poster above and I'm sure they can help with accomodation. They are who I would dive with in St Thomas

PNW Dive Girl:
I stayed at the Holiday Inn a couple of years ago, dove with Admiralty. They are on site at the Holiday Inn. They'll transport you to the marina from the shop. I've heard they sold, not sure about the new owners.

Admiralty is under new owenership and the business has been taken on with gust and new blood. A new dive charter has been added for those dive-hards - a 3 tank, 3 location charter. Proven to be very popular!

Admiralty does pick ups from the Marriott, Emerald Beach, Carib, and the BeachComber (discounted hotel rates also available).

New dive sites have also been added - the DC3, a new wreck (not making public) and more reefs.

Full service - drop off your gear and let them take care of you. All you need to do is show up ready to dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom