Course/LDS Recommendation for Austin, TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something to keep in mind is some of the shops start doing the cert dives at Aquarena this time of year - thats constant 72 degrees and crystal clear but NOT deep (too much like the pool IMO).
I've had good AND bad experiences at every shop in town. They all have their preferences in equipment and they all have their own opinions about the other shops. The important thing is going somewhere that has GOOD INSTRUCTORS since you can buy your equipment anywhere including online. I was originally certified at Toms, liked the shop a lot but did not get good instruction (he is no longer there). I've had excellent instructors at Dive World since then and am now a Divemaster there. Yes, the owner is a bit grumpy at times, but the instructors are great. I feel Scubaland has the best rental/student gear.
Check with the Texas Swamp Divers forum if you are interested in more opinions on all the shops in town. Have fun!

buhund:
Come on O2B, just because I've never scuba dived before doesn't mean I'm a complete idiot. :)

Hope you know that I said that with tounge firmly planted in cheek.

Let me second the "it's the instructor that matters' comment of c-monkey. I, too, had a good shop and a bad instructor. Mine was so bad as to be dangerous...

Try to get lined up with a particular instructor and check him or her out. A lot of shops have a pool of instructors and can't tell you ahead of time which one you will get, but you have two examples here of good shops with at least one bad instructor.

Besides, beyond just competence, different people learn better from different instructors. Really try to interview prospective instructors ahead of time.

One other thing I would suggest, based on my OW experience, is to basically not trust any instructor. By that I mean read a lot, study a lot, and think. Don't just accept what the instructor says as fact. It's your life in the balance. My instructor was giving advice that was really dangerous, and if I hadn't studied and been thinking things through I wouldn't have known any better.

Not to scare you off, there are many fine instructors out there. But this really is a sport where you want to take ultimate responsibility for your safety.

But you probably already know that, as well, or you wouldn't have started this thread.

Hello, this is my first post. My wife, and I got cert. at the North Scubaland this summer. Both shops have great employees, but we prefer thr North.We really liked our instructor, and this time of year, they do the openwater portion in Aquarena springs. We had a couple of dives in after the training, and took a trip to the BVI, and werte completely comfortable.

JessH:
The class at Toms is less at $218 ($159+$59 for books) but you will need to provide mask, fins, booties and snorkel which will run you about another $150 to buy.

You can use their class gear during the indoor sessions (good time to get a feel for different masks/fins/snorkels, etc), and either buy or rent equipment for the OW dives.

They give you a discount should you chose to buy gear, and after completing the class, you get a 10% discount on accessories.

- d.

"In case you don’t know it already, neoprene crushes with depth and looses much of it’s buoyancy, then expands when you come back up. The biggest change is in the 10 – 20 foot range. And the more neoprene you wear, the worse the effect.

The biggest challenge is stopping your final ascent for your safety stop. You have to make sure that you are ascending very slowly, or else when the neoprene expands you will not be able to stop at 15’. Don’t get carried away with your BC inflator."

I would also add not to forget to flood the wetsuit at surface. Unzip your jacket or wetsuit and allow water to seep in throughout the suit.

Back
Top Bottom