Advanced Wreck Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Egg,

I know you already have PADI AOW, but IMHO, that is meaningless. You need another 20 dives or so then you should take an advanced course that actually means something. One deep dive (60 ft or deeper), one navigation dive and any three "adventure dives" doesn't make one an advanced diver, regardless of what's printed on the card.

WWW™

Walter,

60' is deep? Egad, I have not looked at the PADI AOW course recently, but do they really consider a 60' dive a "deep" dive? If so, I was doing "deep" diving from the very first post-OW-cert dive.

I really have not thought too deeply (no wise cracks, please) about the definition of "deep", but I usually put dives in the 100+ ft category as "deep". I know that it is all subjective since you can drown in 6" of water or get the bends by coming up too fast at depths less than 100'. At any rate, I sure would not do a whole lot of serious deep wreck diving w/o a little more experience....

Joewr

PADI Instructor Manual, Adventures in Diving Program, page 3-9:
"1. For the purpose of training, a deep dive is defined as a dive conducted between 18 to 30 metres/60 to 100 feet. The maximum depth is 30 metres/100 feet and for Junior Divers (12 - 14 years old) the maximum depth is 21 metres/70 feet."

WWW™

Actually my deep dive was 120 feet, with some bad isotherms, i dove in t shirt and shotpants no wetsuit although i have used shorties in the past. I was able to do the mental arithmetic at 1min 30 sec on the boat and 45 secs on the bottom. Its funny how concentrated you can be when its cold.
Normally you take longer on the bottom, thats just the second time my instructor has had this happen to him (He has over 4,500 dives under his belt) The entire dive was only 22 mins. I have not done a dive post OW that has not hit 60 feet.

The rec limit is 130 feet as stated in all the PADI literiture I have read, 120 is within the 130 feet.
Of course there is some leeway in all instruction.

You are mistaken. Standards do have absolute limits. The limit for that particular dive is 100 feet. The instructor has discrection within the standards. That would be like taking OW students to 80 feet on the 3rd check out dive. It is a clear violation.

WWW™

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom