reg suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too$hortbaby

Registered
Reaction score
hey all

looking to buy regs.... now.what should i get?
i've been lookinh @ atomic aquatics bi-metal reg,or sherwood maxamus reg. With sunto corba computer w/compass air intergrated.

any other suggestions 25 dives under my belt

all dives have/will be cold water dives,for sum time yet,
looking to spend upwards 1500 canadian/50 u.s. hahaha

suggestions greatly apperciated

money is an issue but will fork it out ---life is worth it

Get the one your local dive shop can service - and, it's not a bad idea to consider what kind of service can be done in the places you want to dive. There may be a lot of bragging rights that come with that one-of-a-kind mega-flow mega-buck solid gold & titanium so-good-we-hesitate-to actually-use-it reg, but if you don't want to miss any dives a "standard" high performance reg is the way to go. In fact, buy two so you always have a spare.
Rick

I think that any advice that you are given here will always be a personal opinion and as long as you use a reputable brand which has been around for a few years all regulators are good.
I always use Apeks equipment because they have a good reputation and I can get the equipment serviced locally. Also I know that it will last, my octopuss is an Apeks Manta which was one of the first Apeks regs to be made over 20 years ago. This is still working and spare parts are still available should I need them.

Kevin

Kevin,

Im not sure I understand what you mean by ...

"any advice that you are given here will always be a personal opinion"

There are many very experienced divers here and a great deal of Professional Divers ... Even US Navy Testers, etc ... and I wouldn't call those "just an Opinion" ...

>=-)

ok

but what should i look for.
this board has helped me out in the past,and as a new diver [this summer]i greatly appericate any and all advice.

i know we all have [favs] but that usually from good safe expercences

any suggestions will not be taken lightly

i'm looking to puschse after christmas

thanxs all

I'm not the right person to answer the original question, but it's pretty clear.

He wants help, and all I can say is that any reg I ever used worked pretty good. I don't work for a dive shop or a manufacturer, and as long as I can get air when I'm down, I figure it works.

I'm not trying to say that there aren't differences, and I use different setups for what I'm going to do, but I don't consider myself an expert on regs. I personally have five, and decide what I'm going to use when at the same time I decide which fins, which BCD, which tank (my wife says our garage looks like a dive shop), and just what the dive is today.

I've never felt that a reg was a big quetion. Balanced, for sure, want to make sure it breaths easy at depth.....but if you're not going deep, what's the big deal? I always figured, if it don't stop, don't ask any questions. And I've never heard of one that stopped!

DSAO

OK.. lemme put this another way... there ain't a dime's worth of difference at recreational depths between any of the high performance regulators. There is a tremendous difference in the time required to get one serviced or fixed if your local shop or the place you're diving can't handle the service or repairs.
I personally use US Divers regs; most of the guys I dive with use Scubapro regs. The shop I use handles both, and both can be serviced almost anywhere in the world. In over 30 year of diving I've never cancelled a dive for lack of a regulator.
Rick

Too$hort,
Here's what I have sitting in my dive locker(garage) right now. (2)ScubaPro Mark20/G500's, an Apeks TX100, a SeaQuest Spectrum XR2, a USD SEA4, and a USD Micra Adj. With just about every one of these regs you will notice little difference in recreational depths. It's when you take an extended range course that the benefit of the better one's become's a no-brainer!

The XR2 and the High end USD regs use the same exact 1st stages. Even though the exteriors look different, the interior dimensions and parts are the same. So therefore they breath the same. The second stages become a matter of personal preference. The XR2's 3/4 size 2nd stage with the exhaust port that it comes with and the ComfoBite mouthpeice make it easier to handle than the Adj or the new Cousteau which replaced the SEA.

My favorite one's at depth are the Mk20/G500 and the Apeks TX100 respectively. The G500 second stage has been replaced with the G600, and I see no benefit to going to the Mk20 UL unless you do a great deal of traveling, even then the benefits are marginal at best.

If you'd like any info on specific models, I'll do my best to help you out. Just let me know.

Mario :D

Back
Top Bottom