Some thoughts after NAUI Master course and a year in diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theatis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I passed my NAUI Master Diver exam this morning and thought i'd post some thoughts both on that and my first year in diving.

Within the past year i did - in quick succession - OW, AOW, Nitrox, Rescue and Master (first three with PADI, latter two with NAUI, i actually completed the NAUI OW but injured my lower back and could not complete the checkout dives as scheduled and did them afterwards with PADI). It may sound odd but the primary reason that i kept taking courses is that i don't have a regular dive buddy (at least here in the US) and wanted to be active in diving. Also, and this may sound ridiculous as a justification i know, the NAUI classes were basically free since as a doctoral candidate at the university i don't pay tuition.

After all these courses, i must say that i see little value in the common advice to hold off until one has more experience after OW. Of course, one would expect to perform better at the practical part of continuing education (but it would also depend on the individual), yet i see the primary payoff of going beyond OW to be the knowledge and not the practice.

I've seen people post on numerous occassions that Rescue was both their most challenging and their most rewarding experience; i have to concur. It was fun and it was tiring and i learned so many things that i hope to never have to put to use. One thing that i'm scared of about Rescue is that in time those skills will diminish; it's all fresh in my mind right now, but will i remember instinctively how to respond to a risky situation ten years from now?

I would characterize NAUI Master as the serious version of OW and AOW combined. You learn the same theory from the beginning only this time it's not balloons popping and "never hold your breath, now dive" (a caricature i know), it's application of gas laws and decompression theory. I would still like to know more about these topics but if someone is interested in taking that extra step, then this is a great course.

One anticlimactic aspect of both courses was that both textbooks are quite challenging if one wants to really absorb everything, yet both exams were very easy, especially the Rescue exam. The Master exam was a lot more challenging but still not at the level set by the textbook where there are many compound questions.

In summation (since this post is getting ridiculously long) i would see the three factors that most influenced my diving so far have been: getting more education and taking it seriously, buying my own set of gear and developing familiarity with it over time so that new tasks are easier to internalize, and reading the comments of people way more experienced than i on Scubaboard. And not necessarily in that order!

Good info! I plan on completing NAUI Rescue and Master this coming summer. Wow, I need to get into better shape! :)

I work for a university, I never thought about going beyond my Rescue Diver... for free. Oh, but it looks like they only have as far as Rescue on their course list. :(

Anyway, I really like your insight about waiting vs. not waiting to do more. I definitely feel the first 3 Padi Certs would be good for all divers to get. I don't think any of them require waiting. Beyond that though, well obviously I just don't know.

Again, I really liked your comments.

I did up through NAUI Master Scuba Diver this year, and I'd likely concur with the idea that the tests seemed easy to me. Then again, I tend to go above and beyond (and ***way*** beyond that) when I learn something, so I couldn't really compare to a "hard" test for me. (Well, it was *much* easier than when I was back in chemical engineering at LSU.)

My LDS had a 50-dives policy for NAUI MSD, but it was irrelevant to me, as I'd already passed that.

Rescue Diver is physical. NAUI Master Scuba Diver is the bomb, a difficult class, but one of the most, if not the most comprehensive a non-professional rec diver can take.
I still read the textbook pretty frequently as more of it makes sense with the additional exposure. I chomped it all down pretty quickly as well and took a little break before movng on to Divemaster. Those little books can get to you after awhile. Congratulations!

My best friend and I both got out Master Diver certs a little after a year from when we got our OW, AOW and Rescue. Of course, we also logged over 120 dives in that year, including 6 wreck dives at 130fsw which we planned down to the last detail, two planned decompression dives at over 110fsw and we studied our butts off.

I can't say that I completely dissagree with the belief that people should space out their certs a little bit since I have seen plenty of people pass AOW and that still drag their fins in the sand when they swim. Buoyancy is another skill that takes time to learn and should be demonstrated at a higher proficiency for AOW than OW.

But for the most part, cert progression should fall totally on the individual's desire to not only further educate themselves in this awesome sport, but in that person's desire to work hard and practice to be the best, and most importantly, safest diver they can be.

I think it could be safely said that if you have a unique advantage that changes the learning dynamic, why not exloit that advantage? It should also be stated that with fewer dives, and the inherent lack of experience gained, you should be particularly conscious of your limitations.

In reference to recreational diving there are fewer risks involved, as such, your reward may be greater than your risk. If you were to immediately dealve into technical diving, I think it safe to say your risk/reward dynamic would then change... and put you at much greater risk with less experience in the water.

Well I write my Master Diver exam this Sunday, I am studying like crazy. I think my course was a bit more than most. It is call the DELUXE SPECILAITIES Master Diver and includes the following:

Naui Master Diver
Naui Rescue Diver
Naui Advanced Rescue
DAN 02 provider
DAN marine life injuries
ASHI first aid
Naui Deep Diver
Naui Night Diver
Naui Search & Recover
Small Boat handling
Nitrox

and BTW 90% of all our dives are done at alt (over 1460m), so in Padi's terms I would also have the ALT diver cert.

So as you can see I am S&%&^%& myself for the exam this sunday, its 4 hours long :(

Will let you know how it goes.

I did the same thing Padi then crossed to Naui for the Master and Rescue. I cant believe how much better Naui is , i will never have anything to do with Padi again.

Hey Spankey, that's a pretty impressive line up...touch base with us when you get to the other side. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom