Are you still imperial?

Do you use imperial or metric when diving?

• Imperial, my country's system

Votes: 86 60.1%
  • Imperial, tough my country is metric

Votes: 16 11.2%
  • Metric, my country's system

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Metric, though my country is imperial

Votes: 14 9.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lead_carrier once bubbled...
It doesn't matter which you use.
Just ignore the numbers on your spg, when the needle hits the cute little red zone toward the bottom, start to the surface.

I've noticed that most imperial SPG have their red zone at 500psi. While the metric SPG have theirs at 50 bars, which is 725 psi. Not necessarily important if 750psi is your mark to be back on the boat. Just something to know.

Lead_carrier once bubbled...
If it doesn't work THEN you will have to figure whether you will be planted 6ft or 1.84 metres in a 105 liter box.

Good one! The undertakers have the second oldest job in the world. Probably why they're still imperial...

Actually Arnaud, I have a large number of imperial spg's that are redlined at 750 psi. The J-valve is designed to shut down at 500psi tho. Assuming we got it set correctly.. and you buddy handn't already pulled your valve into the down position in which case the shutdown point moved to zero.

I prefer imperial because that is what I'm used to. I can use metric, I just have to think a bit harded to convert.

Arnaud once bubbled...
A lot of my American friends seem to have a problem understanding that the rest of the world has adopted the metric system.
Au contraire, mon ami...
The entire world of aviation, even the French, uses imperial measurements... and English! Altitude in feet, speed in Knots... the French F8's even measured fuel in pounds.
How many degrees in a metric circle? Seconds in a metric minute? Hours in a metric day? Meters in a degree of latitude? Fathoms in a kilometer?
Besides, diving to a depth of 130 feet is much more impressive than a mere 40 meters.
--------------------------------
For those wanting to convert feet to meters to atmospheres and back, it really isn't that hard and can be done in your head... take 63 feet, for example... multiply by 3... 189... move the decimal over one to the left... 18.9 meters... move it over again and add one... 2.9 ATM.
Piece of cake, right?
Let's go the other way... say 3.5 ATM... subtract 1... 2.5... shift decimal right one... 25 meters... shift right one more and divide by three... 82 feet. What could be easier?
Now for those of you who are very thin you may find my conversions to be off a half a foot (.17M) or so, but for those of us with a decent table muscle you'll find that if one part of your body's at 3.5 ATM then other parts are at 25M and 82 FSW.
E. itajara
E. itajara

JeffAustin once bubbled...
Metric is logical, the whole base 10 thing. No calculator needed to figure things out.
Can anyone (European?) tell me how to build a house, etc in Metric? In Imperial you can build on 12", 16" or 24" centers and sheet with 4'X8' drywall, plywood, etc., with minimal waste. In over 4 years I spent framing houses, the only metric plans I ever saw (and there were a few) were always Imperial measurements given in Metric e.g. spacing of 40.64cm (16") and a 91.44cm door (36"), often with the imperial in brackets underneath. I completely fail to see the advantage.
In England for example, what are the dimensions of a standard sheet of plywood? And the standard spacing for studs in a wall?

The only logic I see in Metric is for those who have to use their fingers and toes to count and do math. :D

Oh, We're talking about building houses. My mistake, I thought this was the SCUBA board and we were talking about metric vs. imperial as it pertains to DIVING! If you use metric, you don't need to use your fingers and toes to count.

JeffAustin once bubbled...
Oh, We're talking about building houses. My mistake, I thought this was the SCUBA board

Sorry for getting off topic. As it pertains to Scuba not a lot of difference as long as you learn the rules for the system in use, but as a "whole" person, I need to work in one system or the other, not dive and drive in metric, but build a weekend project in Imperial and would prefer the one that works best overall. Water temps in either mean the same and I can generally relate to either without doing a mental conversion. Measurements on the other hand.
I know an ascent rate of 30 feet per minute is 2 seconds per foot, what the heck is the equivalent in meters?

If someone who lives in a Metric country would PM me the answer to my previous question, I would really like to know.

Its a bit difficult to remain imperialistic when we lost our empire around about 1945! :D

I gather, and I am not at all surprised, the WWII GIs had enormous problems with our old currency of £sd (pounds, shillings and pence);- 12 pennies to a shilling, twenty shillings to the pound, 240 pennies to a pound. A half crown coin was worth two shillings and sixpence, a florin - two shillings. Then we had the ten-bob note, the tanner, the thrupenny bit, the ha'penny, the farthing and much much more!!! (As a boy I remember a half crown as being a decent sum and a very nice coin, real money!.)

In 1970, to show our genuine lack of imperialism, we gave in to your demands and decimalised our currency but what that has to do with diving I am not sure.:)

At risk of repeating a point that may have been made in an earlier post. "Metric" refers only to the measurement of length using metres. "Imperial" refers to length, volume, weight, pressure, density, viscosity etc, etc.

At school I was taught in SI units (Systeme Internationale?) which is a decimal system, including metres, litres, grams, pascals etc. Trouble was most retailers continued to use the imperial system of weights until it became illegal, yes illegal, to sell fruit and veg. in lbs.

An atmosphere is 1 kilpopascal.

As for house building, Groundhog, when we first went metric wood was still sold in feet but this was known as a "unit" length in the trade for quite some time. I am just about to start construction of a new surgery/pharmacy and all the measurments are standardised in metres, which fits in with the raw materials, which are now (thankfully) sold in metric units. Plywood? 2 x 3 metres, I think.

As for diving
Although we now use metres of sea water for depth all standard Buhlmann deco tables are based on 10,20, 30. . . foot stops. For the BSAC '88 tables we have simply rounded these figures up (or down) to the nearest whole-number metric fit :- 3,6 and 9 metres and an ascent of 30 ft/sec is rounded up to 10 M/sec (the actual equivalent is 32.5 ft/sec)

SAC is so easy to calculate using bar for pressure, cylinder size;- its water capacity in litres and SAC in l/min. Mine is 17 l/min so at 10 mtres it is 34 l/min. My twin 10s at 232 bar contain 4,640 litrs when full which gives a rock-bottom figure of 4,640/34 = 136 mins.

If I want a 50 bar reserve I have enough air for

20 x (232-50) = 107 mins

That took about 30 seconds. How long does it take to calculate it in imperial units?

By the way, we still buy milk and beer in pints!

We buy petrol in litres but still measure fule ecomony in miles per gallon, distance in miles and speed mph.(and we drive on the left to leave our right hand free to fend off approcahing highwaymen with our swords!)

and epinephelus, the artillery here do not use degrees they use mils, but you've guessed it, there are more than 1000 mils in a circle (I can't remember the figure off hand and I have never been told why. Probably a mil was the limit of resolution for artillery accuracy.)

AND, yes, we all still tell the time in seconds, minutes, hours, weeks, months and years! (hardly a decimal system.)

Confusing, isn't it! :confused:

and by the way. I am not a Euopean! They are very odd people across the sea who talk funny and do not have a reigning monarch even if she no longer has an empire!:eek:ut:

Dr Paul Thomas once bubbled...
and epinephelus, the artillery here do not use degrees they use mils, but you've guessed it, there are more than 1000 mils in a circle (I can't remember the figure off hand and I have never been told why. Probably a mil was the limit of resolution for artillery accuracy.)
A mil has absolutely nothing to do with the metric system. It is, rather, a measure of offset relative to distance - "One mil" represents one foot displacement at 1000 feet, and is the standard used to set gunsights and measure ballistic dispersion & such. A dumb bomb, for example, has a ballistic dispersion of about four mils, so if dropped in a 45 degree dive from 4,000' could be expected to hit within an ellipse measuring about 56' wide and 96' long with the aim point in the center.
And there are 2000 X pi mils in a circle.
Rick

While, as a metric born, I can physicaly grasp feet, yard, inch and even psi, all the rest remains a mistery.

I've seen somewhere it was said imperial is more percise, because a feet is smaller than a meter, and apsi smaller than a bar. This ofcourse, is a foolish arguement- a milimiter is smaller than a feet and a pascal is smaller than a psi.

When coming down to it- metric is convinient and logical-

The basic measures are very convinient-

1M=100 CM=1000 MM= 1000000 micrometer= 10000000000 angstram = 1/1000 Km, and so on.
1 Kg = 1000 Gram =1000000 Miligram =1/1000 ton.

The cross measures are quite simple and logic:

1 N = 1kg*G
1 Pa = 1 n / 1m^2
100,000 Pa = 1 bar, (which is roughly 1 atmosphere, which in turn is the pressure of a column of 10 M of water, or several Km of atmosphere, I wander if this happen by coincedence?!?!?!).
1 N / sec = 1 joul.
1 N /sec^2 = 1 joul/sec = 1 watt.

And it all fits well with the Celsius/Kelvin so that a Joul is also an amount of heat (energy IS energy), while you can still use the convenient calorie measure for other things.

Now the Imperial- Ho my!

Hp=????? never could remeber it, something with lb, ft and a sec?
lbf? btu? mile? nm? inch? yard? ft? grrrrr.

Ofcourse- when you'r born with it it's easier, still I take pity for first and second year students of engineering in the US.

And for the bottom line-
It's hard to tell who wins as long as one of the most usefull measurements stayed imperial for hundreds of years, and dsen't seem to be changing in next couple hundreds. It's used as a basic measure both in metric and imperial, and I am refering of course to time measurements- 365 days, you can't do nothing about it, but 12months a year, 24 hours a day, 60 mins an hour and so on sound quite imperialto me.

Oh- and two last things-

1- what do you do in imperial if you need etreme measures? use micro/mega and so on which are metric?

I really wander. What's smaller than an inch? lighter than an ounce?

2- If I had some mistakes in the measurements please forgive me and don't take it TOO hard on me. It's quite early and I just woke up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom