Weighting Lifting Regime for Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tinman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I do aerobic, upper and lower body free/fixed weight training in preparation for Skiing, Golfing and Triathlons but am unaware of any recommended guidelines for weight resistance training to assist a recreational diver to improve performance and prevent injury above/below water.

Despite aerobic fitness being king underwater, I wondered if any Physicians or Personal Trainers with Kinesiology background have investigated the best weight lifting regime to adopt and which muscle groups to concentrate on - presumably lower back and legs....

It does seem an unnatural act (no bun intended) to maintain proper swimming trim posture underwater. Frog kicking & neck position seems better suited to svelte ballerinas rather than old farts like me so any advice would be welcome...

Haven't seen anything specific to diving, but I would bet that a good all-around combination of weights and aerobic training would pay dividends. Back and legs are good things to strengthen, but you don't want to do any type of training which isn't "balanced" to provide benefit to all major muscle groups.

I've been doing weights + bicycle riding pretty religiously for about 1-1/2 years, and I can tell a big difference in how I feel after a dive. Especially climbing the dive boat ladder or walking around will full gear on. No sweat.

I can hardly belive any special training is necesary. While it is good to be in a generally good shape, there is ubsolutly nothing else, I belive. Some of the best divers I know are not quite even that.

Aerobic exercise is probably #1. Strength training will defiently help though.

A typical "size/strength" weightlifting routine + some jogging would probably do it.

I use a bowflex and free weights to train
:lifter: and I run on a treadmill for cardiovascular workouts. :walking:

Now I've got to quit spending money on fitness items so I can buy more training and dive gear!!

:snorkel:

scubadoc once bubbled...

One should do exercises that require the least amount of preparation and equipment. I have put together a series of exercises that you can do in your own bedroom or hotel room [hard to carry weights on a trip] and these are located at http://www.scuba-doc.com/travexer.htm .

Hope these are helpful! [/B]

I take weights on every dive trip!!!
(though admitedly not to my hottel room).

Back
Top Bottom