Most Versatile Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of good advice already on the thread - and everyone will have a favorite. Mine - the superb performing Poseidon X-Streams I use...

But each to his own - there's a bunch of excellent regs out there - go find one that suits you - the problem with this thread so far is that you've got too many recommendations - all good...

namabiru:
Just did a bit more looking, and I'd also have to agree that statistically the MK17 looks to be a bit better than the MK25 because it has a dry chamber. However, I'm wondering if it would be better to have an adjustable breathing effort on the second state, or a vacuum assist. They both accomplish the same goal, although it seems that diver adjustable breathing effort would be easier to adjust mid-dive.
Just make sure that you get something with some sort of adjustment. You want to be able to detune regs that you are not breathing so that they do not freeflow while being able to adjust them to breath easily while you are using them.

Sure, the maximus has underarm, and I can see where that would be cool, but realistically you should also be able to streamline in other ways.

It's a process, this shopping.
Any reg can be routed underarm. You just may need to add a swivel or elbow at your second stage to do so. I personally like this configuration better than the standard configuration of having your reg hose loop out to the side. I like a longhose configuration better than either of them.

~Jess

I have not heard anything about Aqualung Legend. Have to say I like mine. Have tryed several and I think The Legend Fitz me better and has grate flow.

namabiru:
I'm wondering if it would be better to have an adjustable breathing effort on the second state, or a vacuum assist. They both accomplish the same goal, although it seems that diver adjustable breathing effort would be easier to adjust mid-dive. An MK17 with X650 second stage allows for both DAIE and VIVA adjustment, while the S555 only has VIVA adjustment..... So I'm starting to come around to see how S-series may be a better choice for entry-level extreme times.
Scubapro does a poor job of marketing their regulators. Their intention is to create entry level intermediate level and advanced leve regulator packages, presumably with the goal of selling a diver three separate regs as their skills and needs advance. They base their levels on the first stage with the Mk 2 being entry level, the Mk 17 being intermediate and the Mk 25 being advanced with a very limited selection of second stage withhin each category.

The thing is the first and second stages themselves do not really lend themselve to this model. For example, the Mk 17 offers top tier performance and makes an excellent counterpart to the G250HP and S600 in addition to the S555 and X650 in the balanced second stage category. However it also works very well for the entry to intermediate level diver with the unbalanced R series regulators where the MK 17's stable IP maximizes the potential of the less exensive unbalanced second stage designs.

What Scubapro does not advertise is that any of their first stages are available with any of their second stages and any Scubapro dealer can order them in any combination for the customer. It normally takes a week to 10 days for the custom combination to arrive from Scubapro.

So my suggestion is to select the first and second stage that make the most sense for your partiocular diving and then order them specifically from your dealer.

Persoanlly, I really like the G250HP or S600 with the Mk 17.

Lets see , the mentioned scubapro regs , Apeks ,or save a lot of money and get a Dive rite Rg2500 , then pay $25 later for the ice kit if needed.

The Dive Rite RG-2500 setup is hard to beat, if you think you will be doing Ice diving, get the coldwater (ICE) kit or add it later when you need it. I have been pleased with mine and the price is great. I think that you will find that this is a fairly popular setup with tec divers as well.

Zeb

You hear so much about sealed 1st stages being the only cold water regulaters worth having,and yet for all these years people have been diving in cold water with balanced diaphram regs.
if you keep your reg from freeze when at surface you should be ok at least thats what i have heard the experts on the board say.
I suggest going with a balanced 1st and second stage reg.
the scuba pro mk17/x650 second is a smoothe reg.
oceanic delta 4 is supposed to be a smoothe reg , both are enviro sealed
I have a scuba pro mk11 diaphram reg balanced
These two brands have very good service plans scuba pro is used around the world for rentals.
they are very dependable.
If your were going to do alot of cold water diving these regs will do you well.
and are very smoothe breathers.
the oceanics adjustible second stages have a feature that sounds like a neat deal.
you can adjust it at shallow depth and it will breathe the same no matter how deep you go.
My friend purchased a oceanic with this feature and really likes it.
I wanted an adjustable second but I let LDS talk me out of it.
He told me that scuba pro was going to discontinue there diver adjustible second stages because they were to much trouble to maintain or that they had alot of trouble with them.
but i noticed they are still in the new scuba pro catalog.
so now i have a unbalanced second stage,i asked if i could go to a diver adjustible second because i am jealous that my buddy has a balance diver adj second
LDS told me i could upgrade to a x650 but it would cost an extra 200.00
the reason i tell you this because it cheaper in the long run to get what you want to begin with.
so get a balanced 1st and second with diver adj second

Mike Newman:
the problem with this thread so far is that you've got too many recommendations - all good...

Yes, I know. It's really overwhelming, trying to find a good regulator, or a good BCD. They're all good. What's bad is that if you go diving, and you rent, you're not going to get hooked up with the really cool "high price" brands. Rather, shops are going to go with stuff that's mid/lower priced and more suited for rental gear. No offense meant to shops at all, but what shop can afford to rent out $500 regulators? And yeah, sometimes you can try out stuff in a pool, but the pool and the ocean are going to give you two separate results, especially once you get to depth. Whose pool goes to 18 meters down?

What we need is a fantasy shop by the ocean which carries heaps of stock. You talk to them, you narrow down to a couple, then you're allowed to tag along with a divemaster or the next classes going out to test dive the regs.

MK25 and X650. As far as you other posters recomending different models of Scubapro, how do you not justify something other than the X650..the highest performing second stage on the market? And the only justifyable reason to take the MK17 over the MK25 is if for some strage reason you are diving in polluted water. Not wanting to step on any toes but i just don't see the justification for anything else. I am sure you will let me know how you feel lol.

Back
Top Bottom