Topic help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheHobster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
All:

I am the co-coordinator of a shop sponsored club here in Indy. One of my goals is to have monthly meetings, spend a minimal amount of time of club business and then have an hour long presentation on a topic of interest. As an example, I posted the rec and tech discussion to get info on what you thought on that topic as we did it as a club topic.

My problem is I am having a brain fade and need a topic for January. We have done items such as The Travelling Diver; Local Diving; a trip to Ikelite; trip report of the Galapagos; wreck diving and archaeology work in Great Lakes shipwrecks; Public Safety Diving (any club that can get one of these guys to speak will be amazed at how lousy their basic SCUBA skills are in general); Mfr reps have discussed Dive Computer & Dry Suit use; gear maintenance for the "off time"; photo and video stuff (having Ikelte close and a number of Ike's employees on staff or as instructors helps); REEF; Rebreathers;

So I am running out of topics. Any ideas you can provide me, or send an outline of what your group has done etc would be most appreciated. We have a great classroom set up as we have a digital projector and internet ready computer; also the Childrens Museum is running a MAPS exhibit and they supposedly have some info on Queen Anne's Revenge in the exhibit, might be OK to include that and maybe another trip to Ikelite as it's 2 blocks away :)

I am sorry if I rambled, Any help appreciated. Time to get back to the job hunt.

Just an idea...

We recently did a basic "field repair" presentation. It was kind of a save a dive kit/how to fix basic problems with gear when diving. It went over very well.

My LDS did a few accident analysis sessions that everyone participated in. They were extremely educational and they encourage discussion amongst everyone. They were done in a few different ways so if you want some more details let me know.

I have spoken at a few dive club meetings around the US.

One idea? Focus on an upcoming trip that the club has scheduled. I walk through the sponsoring LDS shop and fill a bag with usable good items and present them to the club- showing what might be smart to obtain- also reminding that owning something doesn't mean that you know how to use it.

If I have more time, warning that there "will be a quiz", I show an episode of Sea Hunt. Afterward, I hand out a list of questions that tease and question about the various oddball "SCUBA Impossibilities" that Lloyd "Sawtooth" Nelson had committed (while diving in Ocean Hollywood).

You can have fun with this!

Gas management?

Beside I love matts1w idea about some quick repairs.
I think a presentation of the book Shaddow Divers and the topics behind: finding wracks, how to handle things/collecting everything/what about the bones, is there still something out to find.....
that might give a lot things to discuss and a lot different opinions.....
Just an idea.....

How about emergency management and a review of the new CPR guidelines

Wow, looks like some great topics have come up.

You could also do something on the different types of wild-life. Maybe What is living in your local great lakes, or what used to live there. Maybe ideas for getting rid of Zebra Muscles. Or maybe a lesson on general Marine Biology / Zoology.

Sounds like you've got a fun club!

How about hazardous marine life and treatments for stings etc. For the new divers,
boat diving etiquette?

:10:

Great ideas; I am wondering how to work given the philosophy of the club as a local diving (w/in 6 hour drive), and not doing shop functions like education; field repair is good; dive book overviews is good; Accident Analysis, hmmm; in Indy we have lost 2 firemen in training accidents, that may be touchy; boat dive etiquette is needed especially for newbies;

and yes, scubamazing, we do have a fun club; but then what club isn't fun? when we went to Gilboa this year we had 41 people in our group; 26 camping; and had a number in tech gear with doubles, 3 with retro gear with double hose regs, had an U/W Picnic on one of the platforms, and then a bunch of photo folks and just plain looky lou's; but all love diving, enjoy getting out, enjoy the lies around the campfire, so what's not to enjoy?from the shop standpoint, they are loyal and prolific buyers of gear; we have probably quadrupled dry suit sales for them - Xmas Party is Sat night; I am looking forward to it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom