Dividing up California into three zones?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

renpirate:
California is a very large state with a huge coastline. In following the threads on this board it seems that there is several distictions in where people dive. Southern California is without doubt far seperated from the North, but it seems that there is also a division between what is called in other circles Central California and what might truly be called Northern California.

There is no doubt that Monterey is the premier dive location of Central California. It is for this reason that discussions often center on this location in the NorCal forum. However, it is often too far a drive for those of us North of the Bay Area, however much we enjoy diving in Monterey. Instead, we are often attracted to the wonderful diving provided by Mendocino County.

So my question is this. Should the NorCal forum be divided into NorCal and CentCal, thus reflecting the geographic divisions of our state?

How about

1) Los Angeles/San Diego
2) San Francisco/Monterey
3) Everywhere else

:)

I'm happy with it the way it is. There's a LOT of crossover between the Monterey and
North Coast crowds. There's a lot less crossover with the SoCal folks. I've been to
Fiji, Australia, and Belize more times than SoCal (I think NorCal diving is better), and
WAY more times to Hawaii than SoCal. And all those trips were longer than any of
the SoCal trips.

If I were going to split it three ways, I'd put the boundaries just south of Jade Cove, and
at the Golden Gate.

I think Santa Barbara marks the beginning of Southern California - anything north of Goleta could be considered Central or Northern - which is all wrapped into Northern on this site

I've been following this thread with great interest since it began.

The current dividing line for the California forums is the San Luis Obispo/Monterey County Line.

Before I start, let me say that the following statements are based on my rough observations and I'm certainly open to being wrong about any of this.

If you actually look for a point pretty close to a geographical center of California's coastline, it's at about Monterey.

Roughly speaking there are two major concentrations of dense population in the state from a coastal perspective.

One region would be everyone from Santa Barbara to the Mexican border. Goleta was mentioned and that is around where that starts.

The other region is concentrated around the San Fransicso Bay Area. It seems that the main population goes from around Monterey to the start of the North Coast at around Point Reyes.

From a diving perspective it seems that people will get together within those 2 regions, but it seems rare for people to go between those regions.

I hear more about people in San Luis Obispo coming to a boat in Santa Barbara or Ventura than to Monterey. That could be simply because I live in the south and may be inaccurate. We do have a large gathering of divers planned in SoCal about every 2 weeks and it's rare to see anyone from north of Santa Barbara join us. To see what I'm talking about you can look at the SoCal schedules for boat and beach dives in these two threads:

2007 Schedule for monthly Mo2vation Boat Dives

2007 Schedule for monthly Wrinkles Beach Dives

By the way, I want to make sure that you all know you are always welcome to join us at any of these events, so please consider this an invitation on behalf of all of us in SoCal.

So based on the observations above, it seems to make sense to draw the line for the forums between Monterey and San Luis Obispo Counties.

The concern for creating 3 forums for California is that you would probably wind up with one forum that contained few if any posts.

The concern for creating one big forum is that the number of posts in SoCal will probably bury the number of posts in NorCal and make the forum less useful because posts would get pushed to the second page too quickly and get lost in the shuffle.

To illustrate what I'm talking about, let's look at the number of posts in each forum. There are currently 36,124 posts in SoCal and 9,639 posts in NorCal. That's almost 4 times as many posts in SoCal.

Of course, at the end of the day, it's all about what best helps people get out and dive together. I agree with those that have expressed a desire to see more diving between the people up north and the people down south. I hope to get up to the northern areas to dive with you all in 2007.

I wanted to post in this thread for 2 reasons. One, so that you all understand that your comments are not falling on deaf ears and two, so that you understand the thought process for the way the forums are currently set up.

Please let us know your thoughts by sharing your comments and observations. It does matter.

Christian

headhunter:
I've been following this thread with great interest since it began......

To see what I'm talking about you can look at the SoCal schedules for boat and beach dives in these two threads:

2007 Schedule for monthly Mo2vation Boat Dives

2007 Schedule for monthly Wrinkles Beach Dives

By the way, I want to make sure that you all know you are always welcome to join us at any of these events, so please consider this an invitation on behalf of all of us in SoCal......

I wanted to post in this thread for 2 reasons. One, so that you all understand that your comments are not falling on deaf ears and two, so that you understand the thought process for the way the forums are currently set up.
Christian

Hi Christian...funny seeing you here!

I for one, am a SoCal girl who L-O-V-E-S diving in NorCal. I consider anthing north of LA county to be NorCal...duh.... However, I did recently learn that Lobos Rocks are technically in Central California...which just about cracked me up! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

The NorCal SBers may not get together as much as us SoCal'ers, or post as much as us SoCal's, but they sure do dive a heck of a lot more!

I do hope some of the NorCal's will get down to some of the SoCal events...or better yet, plan some more of their own <poking fun at a lot of you NorCals...take it easy>

So, I think the Cally forums should stick to North and South...because eventually, we'll be two different states anyway, right???

:10:

I don't think anybody is suggesting any revolutionary change in the boundary somewhere
near the San Luis Obispo/Monterey County Line. The proposal was to split the northern
half somewhere near the Golden Gate.

I don't think that makes sense. There's a fair amount of interchange between the
folks a bit north of the Golden Gate, and those folks a bit south. It can be done as a
day trip, a long day trip, but a day trip. I know folks who do it a few times a year.

So it would seem from the responses that there are definitive geographic differences as far as where people dive. I know several people have made the comments about North Coast and Central Coast people mixing, However I would argue that it is more at the fringes. People in the Bay Area do come up to the Sonoma Coast, but rarely to Mendocino. Just like Mendo people will come to Sonoma on occassion, but rarely to Monterey.

There are actually a lot of people who dive along the North Coast, but you don't see many of them posting here. One thing that I notice about posts here is that most of them are not very relevant to diving the North Coast. Which is why less of my fellow North Coast divers post here. However, the point is well made that if this forum were divided up, there would be less posts, especially in any forum devoted to the North Coast. I also think one of the issues for the fewer posts has to do with the more you travel North there are less people who know about scubaboard.

Perhaps this is just a solution looking for a problem, in any case, we have other boards as well. Still happy to go diving with any of you any time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom