ARE SCUBAPRO JETFINS STILL GOOD FOR OW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

egg007

Reaction score
Just bought a used pair of Scubapro jetfins for $30 plus $8 postage, they are heavy black rubber fins and the previous owner duct taped the strap ends, why i do not know as the straps are not long and I do not believe they would dangle down.

I did not realise they are so heavy and even though I have a medium size they look small. I'm 5' 8" medium build.

Is there some kind of technology to these fins as they seem too small and heavy. Or are they just durable and designed for cramped spaces?

I'm concerned I might get cramps with these things. They sure were hyped up on the boards

Do you have little feet egg? I wear a Large Jet fin & I have size 8 US woman's (5 in US men's & Euro 38). If you use drysuit boots you'll probably end up with an XL Jet. If you like 'em do yourself a favor & buy a pair of spring straps. You can get 'em at H20 Adventure Gear .

The straps were probably taped up to keep from getting the danglers caught in kelp or something. Try 'em! I love mine!

-kate

Hey Egg,

I agree with Kate, they might be a might small. I am 6'0" with a size 10 1/2 and my XLs are just a tad small. Mine were bought way back in '66, and after many a reef, they still do great. They have gone into semi-retirement as I have replaced them with the Scuba-Pro Twin Jets. Still, many will dive with nothing else as they are as close to indestructible as they can be. I keep them around as my trusted back-up.

I also agree with Kate about the Spring Straps too. I just put mine on and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Easier for an ol' fart like me to get on, and there is no "foot fatigue". Good stuff!

As for leg cramps, they are a bit stiff, and you will have to build up to them. Still they are quite speedy in the acceleration area, and very, very agile when you have to change directions.

Hi Egg,
Hate to say this,but I think you may need a larger size. I too am 5'8", with a size 8 shoe, and I have the large size twin jets. They did result(for me) in less leg fatigue,especially in the "quads" which is the major reason I tried them.If you can get your booted foot into the foot pocket, give them a try.(If not, ???)
Good luck,
Miked

Hi i have a set of extra large i use they work great?
You wont find a better all around fin than jet fins(i got a pair or atomic split fins too) I think he taped the straps
so the flag rope wont get caught in there(it like a magnet for the flag rope gets in there all the time) Try them you will like them.
cyas Rick L.

They fit but look like ducks feet (I'm an 8 1/2).
I'm going to get some laughs in the boat with these midget fins. By the way where can I buy the straps.

egg,

I am 5'7" slightly over medium build (oh all right, dammit! I'm 165lbs!) and I'm a size 8 shoe (actually I WEAR a size 8 shoe. Don't wanna misrepresent myself! =) ). I use an x-large jetfin. Why they do it this way, I don't know. You would think that foot pocket size would be the only difference, but if you look at a large vs. an x-large Jetfin, the x-large looks much bigger. You probably need an xlarge, especially if you use booties with a good thick sole (like rock boots). This is only my guess, as only you can truly decide what's comfortable for you. I would think about getting spring straps too. They are excellent with the Jetfin. The straps are taped because that's what cavers and or wreck divers do to eleminate the danglies. Some will actually thread them so the strap danglers are on the inside. Once you go Jetfins, however, you'll probably never go back. I used a pair of US Divers Blades for years and loved em, but the Jetfins to me, feel just like the Blades. Plus the negative buoyancy (sp?) or weight, will help keep ya upright if you are wearing bck inflation. Also, if you've had foot cramps with fins over the years (as I have), the jets (whether it's a combination of the springs, the X-large size or both) may eleminate them. Hope this helps.

Happy Diving,

----------------Ray

Das Goot

"The Goat"

Hey, you guys like jet fins! Didn't think anyone outside my little scuba family even knew what they were these days! I have 3 pair, I believe, that I bought at a scuba flea market we used to have every year at the university. Some are actually Rocket Fins but I LOVE THEM ALL! I'm 5'7'' and wear a size 7 (wide) shoe, my medium fins fit well with my cold water booties.

Unfortunately the boots of my new dry suit do not fit in my Rocket or Jet fins ;-( I have a pair of XL Scuba Max Pro Divers that I am ready to trade for a pair of Rockets or Jets that will fit my dry suit boot! I don't care how many people make fun of my "old fashioned" fins, they last forever if you take care of them and they are extremely easy to use. Learning to dive in a dry suit is hard enough without having fins that want to float! I think I've seen the spring straps used by one person, thought it was something they dreamed up, sounds like a good idea :)

I think as long as the foot pocket doesn't make your toes or feet go numb they fit. Mine look small next to everyone else's high tech fins but the longer the fin the more leg muscle you need to move it through the water. If you get a blade that's too long for your leg strength you'll experience muscle fatigue no matter what kind of fin you're using. Try the ones you have and if they seem to pinch or crowd your feet I would go up one size. I think you'll like the Jet Fins in the long run, we have some around the university that have been there 25 years.

Safe diving!

:cold: :bunny:

Ber Rabbit, I'll have to disagree with you on this. I've used both Rockets and Jets. While they make look somewhat alike, there's a huge difference between them. Jets are fabulous, but you couldn't pay me to use Rockets again.

WWW™

Back
Top Bottom