Newbie in need of dive vacation advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Magali

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, this may be tricky but here goes:

I am recently certified and am looking for a dive vacation for the beginnning of May.

My problems are,

I need to find an inexpensive trip and I think I've narrowed it down to Cozumel as a destination as the airfare is what I can afford. (Occupation: Social worker)

I dont have a buddy coming with (that I know of, perhaps Ill find one before May)

I have ZERO gear aside from mask, snorkle, fins.

I'm more than a little nervous being a new diver and not having a buddy I know diving with me or at least the possibility of someone diving with me that is patient should I have "issues". That said, I am completely comfortable diving and aside from my recent certification dives in the PNW, I have dove in Bonaire a few times.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for me.

Thanks in advance :D

Well I wouldnt expect ot book a trip without a buddy and then find one and hope to get him on the same flight and hotel. Just be wary when paired with divers on boats, but unfortunately this is how alot of us have to start our diving careers, without many friends to dive with, since we tend to meet them diving.

I would think about getting a basic set of gear to travel with, but at the same time i would expect to be able to find rental gear at any big diving location, not sure about the pricing for rending for a week though, might be more cost effective to buy it on your own and bring it, you wouldnt want to try to buy it there from what I hear.

There are LOTS of dive services in Cozumel that can fix you right up. Just ask around on the board and you will get dozens of references for a shop that will be glad to make sure you have a good dive experience. Contact the ones you are interested in and explain your situation (no buddy, etc...). Many of them will pair you with a divemaster instead of a "stranger" buddy (some charge for this...others don't). Also, let them know in advance that you need to rent gear. That should be no problem at all (of course, you have to pay a bit extra, but the prices on rental gear are not exhorbitant there). Take what you have and simply rent the rest.
I would say just come along with our group, but we're not going until much later in the summer and we haven't even set a date yet. However, you shouldn't have any difficulties at all in getting in touch with the right folks who will treat you very well. Let us know how it goes!

You picked a good place to go. Cozumel is popular because it is very nice and cheap.

I agree with Cheeky though that working a buddy into your schedule later may be tough but not impossible.

Are their any dive clubs in your area? You might find a dive buddy that way. Also, a lot of clubs organize group trips to dive locations.

TOM

Yea, or posting in your local forum on scubaboard might not be too bad an idea to find a nice buddy, it certainly can't be much worse than the idiot you could get paired up with five minutes before the dive.

Have you checked with your LDS that certified you? They often have inexpensive trips organized and get better rates by booking 10 to 20 people. Cozumel, The Keys, Bahamas, and Roatan are popular places for LDS trips. You might be able to meet and do a local dive or two with someone going on that trip. You might be able to talk someone in your OW class to go along as a budy. If your buddy in inexperienced also, try to go on guided dives that use a DM certified or higher guide for the dive. Tell them your experience level and stick close to him/her (not to close:wink: ) for the first couple of dives. Take the more shallower dive profiles in the beginning.

As for gear....I recommend renting a couple of times to get a feel for what you are looking for. Check with your vacation dive op to make sure they rent quality gear before you go. This may seem like an extra expense, but it is cheaper than buying cheap gear that later you find out you don't like the quality or the way it performs. Do your research before buying gear. This board is a great tool for that.

Good luck and have fun!:D

If you want to go in April, I have an all inclusive trip, including air and diving and EVERYTHING....for $1500......I even have other singles going....You can check it out on the trips section in my website...and Myself and some DMs will be on the trip if you need any help or if it makes you feel more comfy

I think you've got lots of options. And it sounds like your concerns have been addressed pretty well.... so I won't dwell there.

One thing I didn't see the was an answer to your nervousness. Start diving in your local area as much as possible. I think you would get a lot more comfortable. the nice thing about diving, is everyone who loves it loves to have more people there.

Go on the group outings your LDS puts on. I think you would be a lot more likely to find a buddy to go with you to Cozumel and I think you would be more comfortable whether you have a buddy you know or not.

good luck and have a good trip.

In the future when i plan trips,i would go for what my LDS has and normally they would have a group of divers(most dont know each other) going. So i would also join them and get to know more people.

I dont have a regular dive buddy therefore i have to depend on this to get to know more divers and a dive buddy.

Dive Right In Scuba:
If you want to go in April, I have an all inclusive trip, including air and diving and EVERYTHING....for $1500......I even have other singles going....You can check it out on the trips section in my website...and Myself and some DMs will be on the trip if you need any help or if it makes you feel more comfy

That's not a bad price for the hotel Cozumel. It's one of the nicer places on the island--meaning poll, grounds and proximity to town.

Who's is the dive op? Paradise?

Darn it. I just remembered that I am engaged the weekend of the 23rd. Man, I've been to Coz a few times and I'd jump on this one. Darn it.

Barry

Back
Top Bottom