Waterborne Safety Strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny, I just bought a similar one yesterday at the dive shop. Mine is a 'Wrap Strap Made in Australia'. Anyway, I would have to guess yes. Mine has a TON of extra strap so it will easily go over my wetsuit or a drysuit.

I cant find mine online anywhere, though....

Lucy's Diver:
This:
http://www.scuba.com/resources/waterbornestrap/index.html

Anyone know if this has enough strap length to fit around a dry suit?

you want the short or long answer?

short: yes :D

long: depending on your wrist size, drysuit size...most likely. there is a lot of extra material/strap on it that you might even have to trim back

If you have a Dakota watch dealer in your area you might check with them. They have something similar, from what I can tell.
Sorry never used one.

I used one last weekend with my DS. Worked fine. Too short to loop back to the second set of rings, unlike when I wear it on my bare wrist, but I think that's the idea.

I've been using one (the aussie version) for over 45 dives now. I don't have a drysuit, but have used it over my 7mm sleeve wrist, and have once strapped it above my elbow. This manuever is not recommended.
My better half started wearing hers over her thigh until I got her a retractor for her watch.

I use em and sell em and the answer a definate yep

It is only $2 bucks.... It was too long for the small wrist.

Wrist_Band_2.jpg

So, I changed it to the bungee strap (DIY). It is much easier and more comfortable than any other stock straps. IMHO....

New_H_band_for_Timex_Watch.JPG

If the waterborne won't fit your application (too small for me), you can get the Nitrox-17 band and cut it short if it's too long.

Ive been meaning to make a DIY bungee version myself. My Aussie made wrap strap is good, but I don't like how long it takes to get it secure on my suit.

The Giffman version looks good, and you would have to pull both pins loose before you would loose the watch. But I'm concerned that a tug on the watch face would put all the stress on one side of one pin. That wouldn't need to be very hard to unseat the strap pin. Then the next tug pulls the second pin...

The "Wrap Strap" and the "Waterbourne" spread the force across the pin - less likely to pry it loose.

I'd like to put two loops of bungee into a 2-inch piece of webbing. The webbing should be the width of the normal matching watch band. Then you have the force spread across the pins (and even directly transferred to the sides of the watch - plus the two pin attachment - plus the advantage of the bungee.

Anybody who has done this want to share the success/failure?

DrDirt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom