Starting the Search for a Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JellyKing

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ahoy,

I'm new to the boards, though not that new to diving. I've been diving Cape Town for a while, though I only really got into it about three years ago, I've logged about 40 dives, although I've done about 15 more that I never got around to logging. I'm not going for any milestones, so I'm not diligent about that stuff.

I'm now looking at getting a computer, since I'm diving deeper. I should've gotten one a while ago, since most of my dives have been past 18m, and nowadays almost all are around 25m. I've been prowling these forums, but I think the questions are too specific to be any good to me. I do know that there is a broad spectrum, but I need to refine it a bit. I presume they all give you ascent rate and calculate no-deco time and safety stops (both depth and duration).

Firstly, I'm looking for a wrist computer. This is mostly for portability. If I go somewhere else in the world, I don't want to take a hose or entire reg with me. I'm used to wearing my wristwatch to time safety stops, so it won't be anything new. Well, no moreso than a big watch.

Secondly, I'd like Nitrox capability. I don't have a Nitrox qualification, but I might like to get one without having to get a new computer to deal with it. I'll never use any other mixes.

I guess all in all I'm looking for a pretty simple computer, but I just wouldn't how to tell the difference but for small details like audible alarms and the profile of the watch. Just about every Mares, Oceanic or Scubapro computer seems to fit the bill. What else should I be considering, and what then would be right?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
JK

Suunto makes a full line of dive computers and they are pretty popular. The Geko and Viper are 2 of there simpler wrist computers. I have a Sunnto and they very user friendly.

Because I'm looking too, I've been reading about the algorithms. Most of the computers use a modified Haldanean model that is similar to that used in the RDP.

That is all pretty cool, but there really had been a breakthrough with the reverse gradient bubble model (RGBM). If I'm understanding correctly, the RGBM does a better job of accounting for the way anomolies act like seed points for bubble formation - and allow you to control small bubble formation.

It does mean less bottom time, but gives you more bottomtime than tables with conservatively safe bounds.

You will see a number of computers boast RGBM. One claims a Buhlmann model with 16 compartments (that is alot of different gas in and out rates), but havent' found any details on it. It appears to be a Haldanean variation.

I'm leaning strongly toward an RGBM based computer. There are fewer choices. There are some moderately priced ones, but it looks like the multigas RGBMs are not cheap.

Good hunting.

I'm selling my Suunto Gekko, a full air/nitrox, downloadable computer (yes, it uses RGBM!). The battery is user replaceable, and reads full. The computer is only five months old (bought this year; it is a non-gray market version, with full warranty). This is an excellent computer, in perfect condition (very safe, too), I just needed to
get something for the tech class I'll be taking next year. Send me a PM if you're interested. I'd like to get this sold before Xmas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom