Blown away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PNW Dive Girl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey you diving neighbors to the north, you got more of the storm than we here in Portland did. Hope you have power!\

We're looking about heading up to dive this weekend. Was there a lot of rain too? I'm wondering about vis.

Quite a bit of the Seattle/Tacoma area is without power- right now, around Seattle at least, it looks like just Downtown Seattle and Bellevue have power. Cell service has been iffy in at least a few spots- not sure if Alki or Edmonds have coverage right now.

I would not dive today, we got a lot of rain, traffic is bad and if there were an emergency, communication is poor and fire/police are busy patroling looking for problems (there were so many police out and about Kirkland last night that it looked like an armed camp).

Viz the last few weeks with the storms, has not been, IMHO that great. I have a tentative dive planned for Sunday afternoon, but we may end up calling it depending on whether it rains any more tonight/tommorow and whatnot.

If I hear anything from the LDS or others, I'll try and remember to follow up here.

Great, thanks for the imput! We were thinking of Alki. I'd need Nitrox fills to dive on Sunday. Silent World is without power. We may have to rethink this.... That would mean that we'd be done diving for the year :(

Heh, I was just getting ready to run by Silent World to pick up my cylinders and try and find Curty. Maybe that explains why they weren't answering the phone.

We're still without power -- it's been almost 24 hours now. There are TONS of trees down in our area (Woodinville) including the one across our driveway that we spent much of the day trying to cut up so we could get the cars out. I'm afraid I'm not going to make it up to Keystone tomorrow, which is what the plan was :(

...and with all the rain and no electricity, -two- of Seattle's sewer plants spent a good bit of last night dumping raw, untreated sewage straight into the Sound. Good enough reason for me to stay dry for a few days, even if both rebreathers and my drysuit weren't in the midst of overhauls at the moment.

Well, the West Point outfall is far enough away from Alki, and the other CSO that was puking was around the point, and Bob had the choice of sitting in his blacked-out house or going diving, so I joined him . . . anything for a dive buddy facing an evening of darkness and boredom.

Vis at Alki was horrible, there is a strong halocline and bad, and I mean bad, vis down to 30 feet (we descended together in the murk with our lights as guides). It gets a bit better below that except for the seals (there must have been five or six tonight). Nonetheless, Bob and I had a wonderful dive, down to Olive's Den, over to the I-Beams, and up to the pilings and the Honey Bear. Saw some squid, some shrimp, and a rat fish or two, and a furry crab in the logs (I think that is what it was, right Bob?).

Cove 2 is starting to feel like home. I got out of the water with a big grin on my face (and some slimy stuff on my dry suit). Perfect way to end a work week.

Finally just got my power back up a few hours ago ... it was friggen COLD in this house by the time they got us back on the grid (my thermostat said 39 degrees).

Felt like winter camping these past coupla days ... been walking around with my drysuit undergarments on ... :11:

I'm heading up to Anacortes this morning for a coupla dives in the SJI ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thirty-six hours now, and the paper says that "rural Woodinville" may have to wait a while longer. I'm tired of camping in my house! Thank goodness for the generator, so I can have the important things in life -- flushed toilets, hot tea and the internet :)

Good luck to you guys out that way. Last year at this same time, our area here in SC was without power for a week. If you have a kerosene heater and a battery op camping fan, place the fan on a 5 gal buck about 6 feet from the heater and it will really stir up the heat to make it toasty in the house. You can get about 16 hours on low out of a set a batteries, so don't leave the fan on all the time, just to stir things up when it is getting chilly in spots. It really makes the heater much more efficient. If you are using a barrel style kerosene heater, you can also use the round top as a stove burner. It will be like cooking on high so stay with whatever you cook.

We are due for another ice storm here soon. Hopefully it won't be too bad the trees really got a trimming last year around these parts. We get hit with this sort of thing every other winter or so, it will take out the power for a few days.

Good luck to you out that way.

Leah

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom