I'm paying retail for equipment from LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba:
Everyone forgets about recalls.....they dont happen often, but wouldnt you like to know....There were some T9 and T6 computers( cant remember exactly) that were recalled not that long ago.....Im not sure how many were recalled, but if you didnt get if from an authorized dealer.......you wouldnt know........Then when your diving, god forbid, something could have happened......Now dont try to say Im trying to scare people into buying from LDS, thats not my point, but you cant just say the service aspect isnt worth it and thats the only thing you get.....RECALLS are very important and when my life depends on it....you can sure I want to know if there might be a problem with my equipment....

M
I'll be among the first to admit that there are distinct benefits to buying a product from a local dealer as opposed to shopping on line. However I think it's unfair that the 'minimum pricing policy' prevents the local dealer from adjusting his price to compete with the on line merchant (if he is so inclined).

Brian

Well the thing is I have an online store and I am an LDS and my price is the same at both.....Thats the way it is with alot of places....If you compare my products in my store, online, to scuba.coms....they are the same....because we both have them at map price and are both authorized dealers....So just buying online doesnt mean your getting a better deal......at my store you pay the same as you would online, and you dont have shipping......and these products all carry warranties etc.....

Benthic:
Unfortunately the one on ScubaPro's website does not contain the paragraph about the minimum price policy. (Not that that's your fault of course). Admittedly that page looks a bit funny (not formatted quite right) when I view it with Firefox so it's possible that I'm having browser issues.

I would be very surprised to see ScubaPro state that openly since it is, at the very least, leagally questionable and, at the very worst, blatantly illegal.

Thanks for citing your source though!

Brian

There is nothing illegal about what ScubaPro is doing, and they are not the only ones that are doing it. The LDS and ScubaPro enter into a dealer agreement which is a contract that states that the LDS can sell ScubaPro gear as long as it follows ScubaPro's policy. ScubaPro's dealer agreement limits how much a dealer can discount merchandise from the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP). It’s generally no more than 10 to 15 percent. If a shop cuts more off a price than this, it can lose its dealer agreement.

Dive Right In Scuba:
Everyone forgets about recalls.....they dont happen often, but wouldnt you like to know....There were some T9 and T6 computers( cant remember exactly) that were recalled not that long ago.....Im not sure how many were recalled, but if you didnt get if from an authorized dealer.......you wouldnt know........Then when your diving, god forbid, something could have happened......Now dont try to say Im trying to scare people into buying from LDS, thats not my point, but you cant just say the service aspect isnt worth it and thats the only thing you get.....RECALLS are very important and when my life depends on it....you can sure I want to know if there might be a problem with my equipment....

M

How many LDS's have systems in place to inform their customers of recalls? Mine does manual invoices, so they don't track my purchases. However, many online dealers have sophisticated databases that track customer purchases and e-mail programs to reach their customers. Also, if manufacturers are so concerned about safe products, why not allow someone who bought it from a unauthorized dealer to at least register their products, so that the manufacturer can get in touch with them if there is a recall or a problem?

I use EVE POS....as soon as there is a recall, I can press a couple buttons and pull up all the customers that bought a particular item....two more pushed buttons and a quick letter and they are all emailed :) Brand new program Gotta stay on top right :wink:

Plus as soon as a customer buys a product, before they even pay, we fill out the warranty info for them and all they have to do is send it in and we keep a copy as well. Then the Manuf. would contact them as well....

If you buy from an unathorized dealer you dont get those warranties or recall notices.....Its unathorized...why would the honor it? Thats like saying I can walk into an Unathorized part of a facility and expect nothing to happen to me because no one told me there was an acid leak.... Thats why its unauthorized

I agree swan1172. When it comes to a recall they should make it to where anyone with THEIR recalled product can get it fixed. Because that is dealing with possible fatalities.

But your buying life support equipment from someone unathorized to sell it.....would you have heart surgery from a doctor thats unauthorized to do the surgery in your state? But he is cheaper......and gives you his word you wont have a problem (just like a warranty from XYZ company)

Swan1172:
There is nothing illegal about what ScubaPro is doing, and they are not the only ones that are doing it. The LDS and ScubaPro enter into a dealer agreement which is a contract that states that the LDS can sell ScubaPro gear as long as it follows ScubaPro's policy. ScubaPro's dealer agreement limits how much a dealer can discount merchandise from the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP). It’s generally no more than 10 to 15 percent. If a shop cuts more off a price than this, it can lose its dealer agreement.
You're right--ScubaPro is not the only company (in the Scuba Industry) doing it. However I believe it is illegal. It's a violation of the Sherman Anti-Trust Act. Under the act, the US Supreme court has deemed three types of conduct to be so lacking in economic justification that they are per se, or intrinsically, illegal. One of those is price fixing (the other two are not relevant here).

It's my opinion that ScubaPro (and others like them) knows that they are on shaky ground legally and that's why they don't print policies like 'minimum retail prices' for all to see. Talk to a dive shop owner who has had his dealership yanked for a minimum price violation and see if the manufacturer in question actually stated that in writing. I'd be willing to bet that they did not.

Brian

Good reason to buy your gear from an authorised dealer. i know I'm not messing about with my life support.

Besides you can get it fixed you just have to pay for it.

Dive Right In Scuba:
But your buying life support equipment from someone unathorized to sell it.....would you have heart surgery from a doctor thats unauthorized to do the surgery in your state? But he is cheaper......and gives you his word you wont have a problem (just like a warranty from XYZ company)
The difference here is that, by law, a surgeon must be board certified in order to practice medicine. There is no such law applying to the manufacture of scuba gear. Who authorized ScubaPro, Aqualung, Dacor (pick your favorite company) to manufacture dive gear? Nobody did!

Besides, what qualifications does the authorized retailer have that the unauthorized retailer does not? Other than the 'blessing' of the manufacturer--none.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom