I'm paying retail for equipment from LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba:
But your buying life support equipment from someone unathorized to sell it.....would you have heart surgery from a doctor thats unauthorized to do the surgery in your state? But he is cheaper......and gives you his word you wont have a problem (just like a warranty from XYZ company)

That is apples and oranges. Under this logic then people that purchase used cars shouldn't have recall rights because they didn't buy from an authorized dealership. I'm sorry but I don't agree with these tactics. Also I have this question say you buy scuba equipment from an authorized online dealer. Does an Authorized LDS have to honor the warranty?

OK...bad analogy, I knew that wasnt a good one....but the acid one was :wink:

What do we have besides the blessing? Well we MUST tell you about recalls, when your product is to be serviced, training on repairs, training on how it works, etc....there are alot of things....

This is a great debate....I just hope you guys arent starting to hate me :wink:

No I don't get upset debating I like a good debate.Iwould buy locally but I have found a deal from an authorized online dealer that will save me $300.00-$400.00 dollars. If it was a matter of $100.00 I would buy locally.

Dive Right In Scuba:
If you buy from an unathorized dealer you dont get those warranties or recall notices.....Its unathorized...why would the honor it? Thats like saying I can walk into an Unathorized part of a facility and expect nothing to happen to me because no one told me there was an acid leak.... Thats why its unauthorized

That is not entirely true. Leisure Pro, competes by offering its own warranty program. A buyer sends the product to them for annual servicing or repair. Like many dive stores, they service some products themselves and send others out to independent repair facilities.

Products purchased through Leisure Pro can’t be registered, so owners don’t receive alerts from the manufacturer. However, Leisure Pro’s website lists recall notices from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, and Leisure Pro e-mails them to its own customer database.

Again, I am not advocating for the gray market, but merely pointing out that they have systems in place that provide the same services as an authorized retailer, and usually at a much lower price.

Dive Right In Scuba:
What do we have besides the blessing? Well we MUST tell you about recalls, when your product is to be serviced, training on repairs, training on how it works, etc....there are alot of things....
Let's see...

I can get recall information for myself directly from the manufacturers web site, or I can fill out the warranty card and the manufacturer will contact me directly. Don't need the retailer (authorized or otherwise) for that one.

The product manual tells me how frequently to service the equipment. Or, the retailer (authorized or otherwise) may have read the manual and be able to tell me that when I purchase the product. That's called knowing the product you sell.

Training on repairs--So you're going to train me how to service my own regulator? Once you've done that will you be willing to sell me the parts kits for it? Of course, anyone who's been to one of those manufacturer technician courses @ DEMA knows that they're a bunch of BS.

Training on how it works--I'm scuba certified, what other training to I need? Any other questions that I might have could be answered by a knowledgable retailer (authroized or otherwise). Again, know what you're selling.

Brian

GulfDiver77:
That is apples and oranges. Under this logic then people that purchase used cars shouldn't have recall rights because they didn't buy from an authorized dealership. I'm sorry but I don't agree with these tactics. Also I have this question say you buy scuba equipment from an authorized online dealer. Does an Authorized LDS have to honor the warranty?

Im not saying I agree with it......Im just here on the other side......Yes....why wouldnt they...you dont have to buy from your local store to have the warranty....now does every shop do it...I dont know....I just know they are supposed to and they dont lose anything by doing it....As long as you buy from an authorized dealer...whether here, online, or in Guam......its covered by any authorized dealer....Just dont forget to send in the warranty card :wink:

Benthic:
Let's see...

I can get recall information for myself directly from the manufacturers web site, or I can fill out the warranty card and the manufacturer will contact me directly. Don't need the retailer (authorized or otherwise) for that one.

The product manual tells me how frequently to service the equipment. Or, the retailer (authorized or otherwise) may have read the manual and be able to tell me that when I purchase the product. That's called knowing the product you sell.

Training on repairs--So you're going to train me how to service my own regulator? Once you've done that will you be willing to sell me the parts kits for it? Of course, anyone who's been to one of those manufacturer technician courses @ DEMA knows that they're a bunch of BS.

Training on how it works--I'm scuba certified, what other training to I need? Any other questions that I might have could be answered by a knowledgable retailer (authroized or otherwise). Again, know what you're selling.

Brian

What warranty card are you going to send in? Are you going to print one off the internet? If you send in the one that comes in the box...all your doing is wasting postage....you dont get a warranty buying from an unathorized dealer...they check serial numbers.....I thought we have been talking about this:wink:

I dont get some of your points because your now talking about buying from an authorized dealer???:confused:

NO im not going to train you how to do it....I got trained on how to fix it....and yes alot of the regs are the same....IM not denying that, but you asked what the difference is.....I went to the training....did LP or some others??

And yes you may know what your selling and tell me when to have it serviced...this isnt the issue...no one ever said they didnt know what they were talking about?

I dont follow some of your points...maybe its just me:huh:

Dive Right In Scuba:

Those are contractual obligations, not qualifications. There's no inherent obstacle to a LP automatically sending out email notifications of recalls or annual servicing due to it's customers. It could be completely automated.

Swan1172:
Also, if manufacturers are so concerned about safe products, why not allow someone who bought it from a unauthorized dealer to at least register their products, so that the manufacturer can get in touch with them if there is a recall or a problem?

I'll take it a step further and say they should let anyone - whether they bought it new from LP or used from a buddy or don't even have one - to register to be notified if a specific brand/model has a recall issued. Don't most manufacturers list the recalls on their websites anyway?

Dive Right In Scuba:
What warranty card are you going to send in? Are you going to print one off the internet? If you send in the one that comes in the box...all your doing is wasting postage....you dont get a warranty buying from an unathorized dealer...they check serial numbers.....I thought we have been talking about this:wink:
Okay, I can see how what I said was confusing. What I mean was that anyone can fill out a warranty card and send it in. If the 'purchase from an authorized dealer' requirement didn't exist, I could send in the card myself and still get the same information. Make more sense?

Dive Right In Scuba:
NO im not going to train you how to do it....I got trained on how to fix it....and yes alot of the regs are the same....IM not denying that, but you asked what the difference is.....I went to the training....did LP or some others??
You're not going to train me in repair? Back in post number 142 you listed "training in repairs" as one of the benefits of buying from an authorized dealer. I took that to mean that you could train me in how to take care of the product I bought from you. Of course, we all know that regulators aren't rocket science and that they're pretty easy to work on. After doing a little research anyone with a modicum of mechanical ability can service their own regulators.

Dive Right In Scuba:
And yes you may know what your selling and tell me when to have it serviced...this isnt the issue...no one ever said they didnt know what they were talking about?
My point is that you don't have to be an 'authorized dealer' to have some basic knowledge about the products you sell and pass that knowledge on to your customers. On more than a few occasions I have discovered that I know more about the regulator in question than the 'authorized dealer' who is trying to sell it to me. So I don't by that being 'authorized' gives you some sort of secret knowledge.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom