"Sharks for Dummies" Recommendations Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ziongyal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm headed to South Africa (Aliwal & Protea Banks for sure maybe Sodwana Bay) next week and would really like to use this experience to learn more about sharks. I've never had a shark "close encounter" - only seen a few black tips from a distance (if I don't count port jacksons).

I want to learn about behavior mostly and what other species to look for along the south coast of South Africa. So far I know to research Zambezi (Bull) sharks, hammerheads, sand sharks (raggies) / tiger sharks (although not this time of year). Any recommendations? Websites? Books? etc....

Which sharks are the most and least dangerous? What SHOULD & SHOULDN'T one do when diving with sharks? (seriously, no cut throat remarks please - yes, pun intended)

Maybe one of you could write the "Shark For Dummies" book and make some money to fund your diving adventures???? (Just an idea)

Maybe a bit late, but check out www.sharksafaris.com for their educational trips to SA and the shark courses they offer. Sportsafaris.com is another one.

Hi ziongyal.

Here's a link to some info on diving with raggies

http://www.adventuredivingsafaris.co.za/speciesinformation-raggedtoothsharks.html

Now, in my Aliwal Shoal Dive guide it says that Tigers can be seen between Feb and June, and the Raggies have also just left, so you might be out of luck here. Don't quote me on that though, you never know what you'll see :D

Rob

Biggest piece of advice. Make sure you can swim faster than your buddy!!

Trying to prevent a shark attack, while enjoying your favorite passtime scubadiving?

Look no farther than this offering from "Dim Witted Scuba Designs"?

mus37317.jpg

Please note: This item has not been tested around sports fishermen, gun happy tourists, or tnt packing game hunters.

Remember: We take diving to a new level. :wink:

Midnight, was is it with you and your whacky ideas...first the croc suit, now this!?

Umm....Great Whites perhaps....South Africa is one of the known areas where theyre are heeps of Great White attacks, mostly because of the seals that breed on the rocks nearish to the shore.

Great whites tend to be in Cape Town area. Up in Aliwell tend to get the Raggy teeth and Tigers. Just eat you in smaller mouthfuls!!!!

my bad. but theres still the outside chance that a Great white will find its way a little further south.

Basic techniques for sharks, that ive been instrcuted on from local DM's and instructors from diving with the potential of bull and tiger sharks in Phuket:

U/W

1. Identify the shark. DO NOT PANIC!
2. If shark is circling at a distance, monitor shark
3. If shark gets closer, drop to bottom and move out of the area along the bottom with your buddy (who hopefully you can outswim :D)
4. If shark attacks, use a blunt instrument or your fist to hit the shark on the nose (which is extremly hard, dont expect it to me soft) or gills ( which are also quite tough and feel bony)
5. If you miss with your hand, proceed to bash the sharp with your stump (I joke)

At Surface:

1. try and identify shark
2. group everyone together
3. signal to boat that you have a potential problem
4. DO NOT PANIC!
5. Exit the water as soon as possible.

Bull and Tiger sharks are noted for their somtimes agressive behaviour. I have no knowledge of Raggy tooth shark behaviour.

Hope any of this helps. If im at all wrong in any of this, someone correct me...better to look stupid here then end up missing a limb because i though i knew my s**t.

beejw:
my bad. but theres still the outside chance that a Great white will find its way a little further south.

I think if anything protea/aliwal are a bit further north than capetown but yes GWS are still a long shot probability.

Best advice for protea I have is be a comfortable diver. sharks aside it can be a pretty serious dive - current, low viz, relatively deep and if you're worrying about sharks you might not be taking care of business with these other factors.

I'm sure you'll love it, Protea is one of the best sites I've ever done.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom