ringed dry gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique:
I use neo DC dry gloves and I lobster with them, never had any leaks. I am careful about the way I grab bugs with or without dry gloves. They come with black fleece liners.

I can put them on myself but require a buddy to get them off. They snap on nice and easy though.

--Matt
I know I have a lot to learn, but I'm not sure there IS a way to handle California Spiney Lobsters safely with dry gloves. Are the East Coast lobbies less prickly? You can ID a California diver who lobster hunts by the shredded neo-wet gloves. But, this is only my second year of lobster hunting. Back to wetgloves for this season.

It was pretty funny last week, when I did the "thumbs up" at the end of the dive, and there was a cascade of champagne bubbles rising from my gloves. Time for new dry gloves!

Claudette

Why not dive with a pair of welding gloves (or other such things) and use them when you're actively catching? Just put a double-ender on to clip them off when you're not using them.

ClayJar:
Why not dive with a pair of welding gloves (or other such things) and use them when you're actively catching? Just put a double-ender on to clip them off when you're not using them.
THAT is a darn fine idea!! Especially for the deeper sites where the wetsuit is just not warm enough for me.

Welding gloves. Nice.

~Claudette~

Can anyone recommend a brand etc of dry gloves that will work with the Apollo neoprene dry suit? I know there is a ring system that can be easily added and removed that fastens to the neoprene sleeve,,,, anyone know which one it is???

Let me preface by saying that I dive with drygloves year-round so I´ve put some effort into getting things to work.

I use SI-tech with the "smurfgloves".

On top of the gloves I have a thin, stretchy pair of gloves with kevlar fibres in them. I´ve had used the same gloves for 2 years now without a puncture. Underneath the no-liners, I have a pair of 40g thinsulates, knit mitts. The mitts actually retain warmth even when flooded so if you happen to get a leak during installation you can just go on with your dive (dive enough and you will)...

HBDiveGirl:
I know I have a lot to learn, but I'm not sure there IS a way to handle California Spiney Lobsters safely with dry gloves. Are the East Coast lobbies less prickly? You can ID a California diver who lobster hunts by the shredded neo-wet gloves. But, this is only my second year of lobster hunting. Back to wetgloves for this season.

It was pretty funny last week, when I did the "thumbs up" at the end of the dive, and there was a cascade of champagne bubbles rising from my gloves. Time for new dry gloves!

Claudette

I have never handled a spiny lobster. The NE lobsters have claws of course and they do have sharp spines but I make a point to grab them right on the carapace where there are no spines. Some people reach in a hole blind for them and everything else - ha ha - I coax them out and grab the carapace.

--Matt

matt_unique:
I have never handled a spiny lobster. The NE lobsters have claws of course and they do have sharp spines but I make a point to grab them right on the carapace where there are no spines. Some people reach in a hole blind for them and everything else - ha ha - I coax them out and grab the carapace.

--Matt

More than one person has ruined a pair of drygloves grabbing spiny lobsters :)

Where would one purchase DC dry glove system online? can't seem to find them?

Does anybody ever use wet gloves (including hardware store ones) over dry gloves for additional puncture/tear resistance?
Yep, We have knit Kevlar that the local cops like to use when rooting through broken glass, etc.
There are some nice "rose" gardening gloves that have a long non-snagging gauntlet to protect the forearm. Nothing dry or warm about them though. Good for FL Spineys.
One of my friends in Sweden has adapted the Endurotech Kevlar mitts to use on the dryglove rings.
Other than that, I prefer the Viking "Classic" variety, though the Bayonet system is likewise secure & able to use the inexpensive gloves mentioned above that dive gear companies like to charge $88/pr. for. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom