need new regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dump

Registered
Reaction score
i going to up grade my reg set that i have used for 15 years. it is a entry level oceanic reg set witch has served me will. i want one with no bells or whistles just a good reliable unit that will last a long time. any recomendations it has been a long time since i have shoped for a new one.

How much are you looking to spend?,What kind of diving do you do?

What sort of diving do you do in what conditions?

Find a Scuba Pro MK 10 on ebay and have it serviced or learn to sevice it yourself...you will never have to upgrade again.

Someone else who owns an Oceanic may give you similar advice to keep what you have. I am not familiar with that brand, but I am wondering why you feel you need to upgrade.

Oceanic GT3 non DVT. No question. I've seen them go for 175 bucks new. It was either divers supply or maybe Phil Ellis had them for around 200. This reg lists for 359 or better. Oceanic is phasing out all the non dvt 1st stages and as a result you can get this for a steal. They let their dealers have them real cheap. adjustable inhalation and venturi switch. I bought one just to use as my bungee back up for doubles and bungee with singles.

Since you have old gear I would look into Aeris trade up program. You can trade any old gear sets and get 20% off a new set from them. If I can help you out with regs let me know, I will beat any ones prices on anything I carry. I don't have aeris added to my site yet, so PM me if I can help with anything.

Brent

dump:
i going to up grade my reg set that i have used for 15 years. it is a entry level oceanic reg set witch has served me will. i want one with no bells or whistles just a good reliable unit that will last a long time. any recomendations it has been a long time since i have shoped for a new one.
Aqualung titan lx, excellent reg

couv:
Find a Scuba Pro MK 10 on ebay and have it serviced or learn to sevice it yourself...you will never have to upgrade again.

Someone else who owns an Oceanic may give you similar advice to keep what you have. I am not familiar with that brand, but I am wondering why you feel you need to upgrade.

LOL, funny you mention that, It's exactly what I did for a set of double 80's i put together a few months back, BTW working very nicely I might add.

dump: These type of questions are very difficult to answer as you usually just get folks telling you to purchase what they purchased.

Some questions you may want to ask are:
- What's my budget?
- Am I looking to purchase locally & also get the regs serviced locally? That may narrow the selection
- Do I want to be able to purchase maintenance kits myself?
- Am I going cold water diving? I.E. Do you need a sealed reg
- Do I have a preference for Piston or Diaphragm?
- Do I want a balanced reg?
- Will I use the regs travelling, if so where am I going and will I want to stick to major international brands to ensure servicing abroad if necessary?

I'm including a link for 'the best new regs of 2006' from scubadiving.com, perhaps you'll find it helpful:

http://scubadiving.com/best_new_regs_2006

Hope that helps.

Bjorn

Back
Top Bottom