my tendonitis is not just a pain in the foot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustAddWater

Reaction score
Not really dive related but it could have been.
I occaisionally have tendonitis flare ups in both my Achilles tendons (not at the same time). Fortunately this weekend it only hampered yard work and racquetball, and not diving plans. Do any of you have any sure fire, quick remedies that alleviate the discomfort? I take ibuprofin, but am very wary of over doing it with that medicine. My doctor has said to take it easy during a flare up, but it seems that the pain is worse when I stay off of it for a long period of time.

Maybe some finkicks in the pool will help.

generally the best result comes from resting the injured tendon.

Some sports-medicine types think the glucosamine preparations help somewhat, and any tendon (such as Achilles) close to the surface can get some benefit from topical salicylate preparations such as Aspercreme or others.

Glucosamine was recently shown to slow progression of knee arthritis in humans, and certainly symptomatic improvement is extremely common with it.

It's not a stomach irritant and has no known systemic side effects.

don't underestimate careful warm-up before exercise as a part of preventing re-injury.

Happy diving
John

i get it in my hand/wrist (rsi from typing way toooooo much).
I find plunging my hand into hot and them cold water (30secs each) about five times helps - takes down the swelling and makes it feel beter. I use 2 buckets in the bath.
Sarah

Yup, very familiar with Achilles Tendonitis. It really does suck. As John said, I warm up and stretch every day. Whenever a flareup occurs, I've always iced it. So far, I haven't had any problems diving. Good luck with it.

- eric

Back
Top Bottom