Pony Bottle Gauge???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evad:
There's an in-between choice. I can't read the button gage, but when I went looking for an air spool, I found one-inch diameter readable gauge from H2O Odyssey.

I really like how the H2Odyssey gauge is low profile and easy to read.

GPBt.jpg

It seems much nicer than the "lug nut" ones by others.

I started out with the small gauge. It was OK for verifying pressure before the dive but a bit difficult to read in the water. In less than a year, it lost its seal. It still worked but was difficult to read pre-dive and impossible in the water. They do not seem to be as well made as a full size SPG which I now use on a short hose.

Is it actually necessary to have a gauge on a pony bottle? Could you not use the spg of the main reg (assuming both use the same type of connections) to check the pressure before the dive? Also do you guys use a standard length hose or a shorter one? I am thinking of assembling a pony bottle system myself.

I wouldnt go without a gauge at all, at least leave a button gauge on, its a pain to read it, but its still possible, unlike if you didnt have a gauge at all. Plus who wants to unscrew a spg from reg to reg on a rocking boat.

I had a button gauge it it sucks, its really hard to read. Soon it will be on my argon reg.

NWBoiler:
I would be using the pony (30cft) as a bailout bottle side mounted on a single rig. Thank you for your input!!

I'm in the process of putting together the exact same rig .. 30cf pony slung on my left side. I went with the XS Scuba 2" brass and glass SPG from Dive Sports. Not the full size gauge, but the smaller 2" gauge. I went with the XS Scuba gauge because it's true brass and GLASS, not brass and PLASTIC like some of the other smaller gauges (Dive Rite for example). Also, I wanted a readable gauge, not a button gauge. I want to KNOW how much gas is in it. This is important to me not only in the event that I have to use it, but also during "tests" with it to verify that I can get up from depth without any problems.

ADDITION: I have it on a 6" HP hose.

My 30 cub is set up as a stage. Slinged with a 6 inch hose and SPG. Easy to read and the user, depending if it is donated, can read it if needed. If I have to use it..like mentioed prior..The dive is over and up I go. Knowing how much gas is in the bottle is way gooder.......

I've got a 6" hose and a small simple Tusa 110 SPG - same as my main SPG on my other reg set. Easy to read, consistent, and I've got a spare in a pinch if I'm traveling and not actually using the pony.

Plus I liked the idea that if a bail out situation did happen, I could easily read the
gauge on the way up and not overly rush the ascent or safety stops for no good reason.

With a small bungy on the pony I honestly can't see how you could think the little 6" SPG would get in the way.

I have an SPG and depth gauge on my pony. I also have a timing device (cheap watch) around its neck. My pony provides me with air, depth, and time -- everything I need to execute my normal ascent profile should I have a failure in air or data supply.

I also keep a button gauge in my save-a-dive kit. When I'm buddy diving, if my buddy has a problem (say, blowing a high pressure hose, for a logged actual example), I can just swap their hose and gauges out with the set on my pony and still have pressure data from the pony. Of course, I tend to value redundancy quite highly.

Back
Top Bottom