new to diving, and...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cba191

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i know that i'll probably get flamed for this. but, i want to learn with the stuff i'm going to be using. i have never had good experiences with rental gear, so i don't want to do that. i have narrowed my choices down to 3 regulators. the atomic z2, the aqualung legend acd, and the oceanic delta 4 w/dvt. any suggestions?

ben:huh:

Well you'll probably find that each of the folks using those regs will sing their praises.

I own a Z2 and am very happy with it. Haven't tried the aqualung, but if it breaths like the ATX200 (which my buddy uses) you'll be very happy with that as well. Around here I see a lot of Apex and Atomic, so my comparisons are mostly between those brands. Never tried an oceanic reg.

If you go with a higher end reg from a major manufacturer (in Atomics case I'd suggest they are all high end, but I'm biased), I don't think you'll go wrong.

Are you buying from an LDS? If not, can you get each of those regs serviced locally?

Best of luck

Bjorn

I'd say the BC is the big factor to work with. Learning to control buoyancy will be enough challenge, so I'd start there if it's one piece of equipment that you are looking to purchase.

As for the regs, I have the Legends. Atomic has a loyal fan base, but my local shops don't routinely carry them so servicing is an issue.

cba191:
i know that i'll probably get flamed for this. but, i want to learn with the stuff i'm going to be using. i have never had good experiences with rental gear, so i don't want to do that. i have narrowed my choices down to 3 regulators. the atomic z2, the aqualung legend acd, and the oceanic delta 4 w/dvt. any suggestions?

ben:huh:

Any of them are alright for recreational diving...just make sure you get one that your local LDS will service:D :D

I would agree with the statement that any high end reg from a reputable manufacturer is likely to be no problems at all. Consider what was said about being sure you can get it serviced locally. I will add that Oceanics are top notch performance and a quality company to deal with. I own 3, one for single tank, 2 for my deco bottles, and I use Zeagles as my primary on my doubles. I dont think you can really go wrong with either of the 3 you mentioned.

You will get some advice to buy "high end" gear. Here is what happened to me.

Two years ago I got back into diving after taking about a dozen years off. I went around the Orlando area and bought the lowest cost new regulator and BC available. The gauge set was used. A basic octo brought the total to just over $300. Guess how well it all worked?

EXCELLENT.

The Oceanic regulator set is really good at 145 feet. Any deeper here would require a shovel. I sold the Aeris BC on Ebay for what I paid for it, so no loss there. It was OK, but a bit large. Anyhow, without spending a fortune, I found gear that worked really well for me.

If you are willing and able to spend big bucks, good for you. For some, there is a status to expensive things. Don't feel that you need to spend big to dive safely.

Happy diving!

Stu S.... lowest cost new regulator and BC .... Don't feel that you need to spend big to dive safely. Happy diving![/QUOTE:
Some folks would suggest that buying good used gear is better yet :wink:

jeckyll:
Well you'll probably find that each of the folks using those regs will sing their praises.

Bjorn

dealerlogo3.jpg
p_regulators_delta_fdx3.jpg

Delta 4 with FDX-10 DVT 1st stage - that's a 10 :wink:

i know that i don't need to buy the best, but i am of the opinion that that the added cost of better equipment becomes less significant over the life of the gear. plus i don't mind buying stuff that i want. spending money replacing broken or failed stuff annoys me.

PaulChristenson:
Any of them are alright for recreational diving...just make sure you get one that your local LDS will service:D :D
+1 ,
BTW when race with CCS my number is also 191.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom