Got certified yesterday!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miami Mermaid

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to announce that I am now a certified open water diver. Thanks to all of you on this board and for your helpful advice with my thousands of questions.

Yesterday, I was able to relax and enjoy the dives. When my instructor signaled that we had to ascend, I was thinking "Oh man, already????"

Thank you all again.

Congrats MM! You are on your way to being as obesessed as the rest of us!

-kate

Congratulations. You've chosen a wonderful sport. Just remember, this is a journey.

DSAO

Hi again!

Thanks for all of your well wishes!

I have a question. Someone said the other day at work that diving was not a sport because there is no opponent. They said it was more like a hobby.

What do you guys think?

BTW, I answered that yes it was a sport because the challenge with managing the scuba gear correctly lies with the diver. A fun challenge but a challenge nonetheless.

Hey there Miami Mermaid! Congradulations on the new C-card!

Guess we can have scuba be declared an official sport if we dive with a pork chop tied to a fin heh! :wink: I'm game!

Miami Mermaid,
Congratulations on the OW cert. Hope to join you in two weeks and trip report w/photos to follow at desultory pace.

The obvious answer to lack of opponent/competition is that you are your own standard, your own opponent. Like any real endeavor w/o a score card, solo or not. Your own excellence, limits and improvement are enough "competition" for a lifetime of true sport. Second obvious answer is that "sport" is only a word, the truth is underwater and the joy for that is everlasting...so far anyway.

BTW - I read there was consideration for chess in the Olympics: even considering chess a sport makes scuba beyond question. My dictionary says a sport is "that which diverts, makes mirth (really!); pastime, diversion".

Congradulations! And before you try Mario's suggestion, you should have him demostrate it for you off the Austrailian coast. :)

on your certification.

Why is snow skiing a sport.Anybody that can get to the top, can slide and/or fall to the bottom.:D
If the mountain is to skiing, as the Ocean is to diving,Neither one is an opponent. It's when we go with the flow that either sport is relaxing and enjoyable.Of coarse some of us like a challenge occasionaly too!

Tavi

Congratulations. The bad news is the water has already started to get cold (and it's still August).

A sport is (according to Webster's) something that is the source of a pleasant diversion, a pleasing or amusing pastime or activity.

WWW™

Back
Top Bottom